With a little help from my friends, part ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy.

I just found this today. :blush:

Very nice.

It sounds like you were playing with that effect I was telling you about :)

I would put more decay time on the verb if you can... make it sound more "dark"

Guitars are intrinsically hard to get correct with regards to "intonation" ...basically the G string does not work intonation wise with the other stings ...especially with bolt on neck Fenders ...the guitar just has a fundamental flaw in the design ...ergo the new twisted neck guitars and odd placed (as opposed to symetrically placed) frets and spacing.

I'm fairly sure the intonation problems have less to do with the instrument than with the intrinsic nature of equal temperament in tuning. I think the G string on a guitar as out of tune because rock guitarists tend to play in keys that utilize the open G in thirds, ie: C major, E minor, G major, etc. Equal temperament is compromise, and equally tempered thirds sound unnatural, because, they are. The best thing to do with a guitar is make sure the octave is in tune on each string and tune with a tuner. If it still sounds out, try different chord voicings or another key. As you suggest, using harmonics, which are NOT in equal temperament, will only make certain chords and areas of the instrument sound in tune.

Aside from that, I don't know a thing about it, but Andy sounds FANTASTIC! I am so jealous of anyone who can just pick up a guitar and sing a tune, no matter what it is.

You can also spend a fortune with a guitar tech and have him set the saddles on the bridge to dial in the particular guitarists heavy hand with regard to intonation...then again like I posted earlier ..just let the love flow and don't worry if you are a 1/4 or 1/2 cent off ... the intent of the artist has a way of coming through ...that is the magic of the guitar.

Also don't lay that trip on rock guitarists ..last time I checked jazz and classical cats all use the same tunings ...which leads back to the inherent design flaw of the guitar ...the G string is a tortured set-up because of its position in the overall design of the instrument.

Either way I dig listening to all guitarist; freshly minted, seasoned, tortured and in the the pocket...it is a magical instrument that always sounds good to me .

It sounds like you were playing with that effect I was telling you about :)

ah ... yeah

:D

priceless tip

I would put more decay time on the verb if you can... make it sound more "dark"

i will try that for sure, thank you

[edit] ok, i don't seem to see a control for my reverb called "decay time"

i have pre-amp and post gain (-30 to 30); pre-delay (0-200ms); mix with early refl. (0-100%); length, damping, early reflections, room size, wet (-inf. to +10db) and dry (-inf to +10db)

any of those double for decay time?

Back
Top Bottom