Wobegong sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pezgrande

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

So I really want to spend some time photographing Wobegong sharks. Where in Australia (and when) should I go?

- Thanks,

Michael

Pretty much anywhere, certainly south of Brisbane. We see them in Sydney but you can go many dives without seeing one. The best places I know to guarantee to see one are Fish Rock at South West Rocks and Julian Rocks at Byron Bay. See my web site for information on these places Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Also common in Jervis Bay, particularly at sites like the Nursery. Keep in mind Wobies are ambush predators. May seem to ignore you, whilst you taking photos, till they don't.

If you strike out there, just take a puddle jumper to West Papua. There are still plenty of them there and the water is warm (28C / 82F). One of them happened to just swimming underneath my feet during a night dive :D

Last edited:
They're up on the reefs around the coastal islands of the GBR too. See them off Orpheus Island pretty regularly.

I thought I might see one when I was in Code Hole, but no such luck in 4 days of diving there.

They're pretty much everywhere south of the 26th parallel- try looking under ledges for them. We have an abundance of them certainly no need to go to PNG or Indo to find them.

Back
Top Bottom