Woman lost - Gili Lawa, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A comment on the FB post says that at 15m, she asked to ascend due to problems equalizaling. Her dive guide took her to 2m and left her to complete the ascent alone. It was only after the group's dive was completed that they realized she wasn't on the boat. Sad.

The dive guide had other divers to take care of so It should be down to her buddy, if she had one, to accompany her to the surface.
Never ever send anyone one up if the diver had problem. But this happen everyday.

A comment on the FB post says that at 15m, she asked to ascend due to problems equalizaling. Her dive guide took her to 2m and left her to complete the ascent alone. It was only after the group's dive was completed that they realized she wasn't on the boat. Sad.
The dive guide had other divers to take care of so It should be down to her buddy, if she had one, to accompany her to the surface.
Never ever send anyone one up if the diver had problem. But this happen everyday.
My home bud always has hell clearing at 15-20 feet. We have an agreement (after a few near accidents involving separations) that buddies enter together, descend together, clear together, stop when needed together, etc - stating together from splash to ladder. I'd hate to skip a diver after splashing only because my bud failed to take his Sudafed, but it's a safety need.

Hi all,

The missing diver is the sister of a very close friend of mine. Today is the start of day 4 of the search for Rinta Paul Mukkam (Search goes on for missing S'porean diver). For those that have asked, Rinta is a pretty experienced diver and was by no means a novice. There has been a search conducted by the Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) but this is mainly using boats. The cost of renting a helicopter is US$60,000 a day. A sum that Rinta's family is covering each day the search goes on as air support has become critical in the search.

For anyone that is looking to help, a very close friend of the Mukkam family, Srinesh Balakrishnan, has started a GoGetFunding page to help raise some funds for the search. Every little bit would help. Thank you so much diving community!

Please Donate to Help Us find Lost Diver Rinta Mukkam

Her buddy should have been with her on that 2m. You just never know what other problem she might have had.

I just came back from Stetson Banks, Gulf of Mexico, Texas, trip today. On our 7am dive this morning, one the diver lost control of his arm & then spread to his whole body, as he was pulling the dive guide line back to the boat. Good thing his buddy was there to help him get to the boat ladder. The DM & boat crew pulled him up on deck & gave him O2. About 2 hours later, Coast Guard helicopter life flighted him to hospital.

IMG_5863.jpg

Why at 2m? What happened to 3 minutes at 5m safety stop? Did they skip it?

S'porean diver still missing after four days

They are now offering a reward. There is a $10,000 USD reward for anyone that finds her. They are handing out flyers to local villages and fishermen. This is a lot of motivation for the local people to help even more than they have already - this is a lot of money to the locals. It's no small sum to me but this is probably the equivalent of winning the lottery there.

Why at 2m? What happened to 3 minutes at 5m safety stop? Did they skip it?

From FB: She was lost from castle rock at approx. 11.25 on the 13th July at the start of her dive. Due to equalization difficulties, she was last seen going toward the surface from 2 meters.

Remind me never to use that outfit. Poor girl. What, was it too much bother to make sure she got on the boat before leaving her?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom