Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never heard of anyone actually being subjected to a body cavity search trying to board an aircraft...

Perhaps not, but I have heard of one woman squealing during a private patdown behind a screen that "... it was the best time she'd had in 20 years.":)

Interesting and hallarious reading. But, no one mentioned "what happens to the poor smuck with the plate in his head?" Will the TSA guys whip out a scalpal and cut him open to check?

I'm curious, I think they give you a card when you have artificial metal parts in your body, for TSA and MRI's and such....

back in the old days, porcine heart valves caused some issues entering some countries if I recall correctly from a public health course.

Dennis, as far at the cavity searches, I think there are some countries where things are done off the protoccol. I think one should be aware of small acts that could make you a target for drugs planted, etc. Sometimes corrupt places do things just to get money from you, I have heard of this.

I have even had traveling with coffee hitmy radar as many use it to smuggle drugs, to disguise the smell from dogs, etc.

But not enough to leave it home, lol. You do have to think, so I pack the press right next to it. and try and leave my "Islamic Military Tactics" book at home

Well I just went through TSA and cruise security (lots of metal detectors) for a straight week and none of my piercings set anything off.

Based on DivingPrincessE's recent experience and other similar comments it kinda makes you wonder just just what kind of hardware Ms. Mandi Hamlin was packing?

I don't have any piercings myself but do wear a fairly large gold baht chain and it has never set off an airport alarm.

I think they have some sensitivity discrettion on the metal detector, anyone know?

Because I notice it varies from time to time.

Metal detectors can be fine tuned. I'm used to them going off when I go through then when they wave their magic paddle of infinite wisdom around me it goes off in the places I don't have any hardware at all. Not my nips, not my ears, not my right shoulder with 7 anchors and a screw.. my shin, a foot, my hand without my wedding band on it. The TSA guy got the answer he wasn't expecting with me since I was down to my boxers and socks in the airport.. he waves over my shin, it goes off.. 6 TSA people standing around watching this fella do his gig.. my wife and about 50 people watching as well.
TSA guy: "Whats in your leg to make it go off?"
Me: "Nothing." and now I'm smiling because I can't believe my leg set it off but 12ga nip rings didn't.
TSA guy: "You have to have something, the metal detector went off."
Me: "I have only had my shoulder rebuilt....."
TSA guy: "So whats in your leg?"
Me: "Well, I did have this dream about aliens and a probe. Have you come to retrieve it? If your not my pregnant wife is looking uncomfortable with me being almost nude with another man"

I was basically told to get dressed and leave at that point..

Metal detectors can be fine tuned. I'm used to them going off when I go through then when they wave their magic paddle of infinite wisdom around me it goes off in the places I don't have any hardware at all. Not my nips, not my ears, not my right shoulder with 7 anchors and a screw.. my shin, a foot, my hand without my wedding band on it. The TSA guy got the answer he wasn't expecting with me since I was down to my boxers and socks in the airport.. he waves over my shin, it goes off.. 6 TSA people standing around watching this fella do his gig.. my wife and about 50 people watching as well.
Me: "Nothing." and now I'm smiling because I can't believe my leg set it off but 12ga nip rings didn't.
Me: "Well, I did have this dream about aliens and a probe. Have you come to retrieve it? If your not my pregnant wife is looking uncomfortable with me being almost nude with another man"

:rofl3:

I would have PAID to have seen that! :laughing:

I don't know if I would do it again.. well, actually.... I would be more creative now that its happened once and I've had time to think. I really was just getting tired of standing in my underwear while everyone else was allowed to be dressed and unfrisked. I mean, c'mon, its not like I was making a strange film for Moore film or giving a speech (aren't you supposed to visualize yourself nude so others won't care what your saying only wondering why there is sound coming from a declothed person?).

At any rate, this simply should have not occured. It's no different than ear rings, rings, necklaces, etc., and if I were her I would have simply been asking to use a phone to call her or a local attorney and to see their supervisor. I know my attorney would have had a great time with this.

I'd have thought it was that cross hanging around your neck ... you could anchor a boat with that thing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is a minimum sensitivity that the machines must adhere to, but independent airports based on their own criteria which is discretion, may increase the sensitivity. There is a trick to walking through these machines as well. Pass through quickly, without brushing the machine. Also, if any metal is rubbing against metal, it will set it off. We have tested change in pockets. When held tight, it doesn't set it off, but when allowed to 'ching', it goes off every time. Certain metals are not as sensitive to the machine as well. Titanium is often used inside the body due to acceptance by the body. Heavy metals are more sensitive than alloys. Copper will set it off very quickly, while gold will not. Anyway, there are a lot of variables. Don't walk slow. Don't let metal rub metal. Get rid of heavy metals. And do not touch the machine as you pass through.

Back
Top Bottom