Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry Don but I have no sympathy for her. It drives me crazy in this post 9-11 era that people don't familiarize themselves with TSA rules before they fly. No body forced her to remove her piercings. She had the option to not fly.

WHAT?!? Familiarize themselves with TSA rules??

Can you please tell me where on the TSA prohibited items section webpage it says no piercings?? They are not prohibited. It isn't like this lady was trying to bring onboard a gun, knife or GOD FORBID...a water bottle.

They did force her to remove the piercing, not flying isn't a viable option when you have places to go and you have already bought the ticket. She wasn't breaking any rules. When I change my piercings I do it after a thorough alcohol cleaning and do it in the shower where the water helps them slide out easily. If I had to do it without any disinfectant and dry...I would probably cry to. I wouldn't be surprised if they got infected. TSA is so unprofessional it's upsetting...and this is coming from someone who works in the federal government.

Give me a break dude, and get a clue.

I guess they will have to write policies about penile piercing, labial piercing, and clitorial piercing.

Ouch !!!!

They do have a tough job. I can see that these might NEED to be removed. Some people hide things in their rectum and vagina.

The blood gangs are known to carry razors in their rectum, to get it into the prison systems.

I don't see why genital piercings are any different. Hiding things in body orifaces is very different than genital piercings. If I have a genital piercing ring or stud, that is not in my body and is instead packed in my carry on, it will have no problem going through security. It isn't prohibited...so why should the fact that I'm wearing it make it any different? Hiding things that are prohibited (like razors and drugs) would not make it through security if they were in your carry on baggage. There is a big difference.

Also all gangs hide drugs and weapons in a variety of places, not just the bloods.

WHAT?!? Familiarize themselves with TSA rules??

Can you please tell me where on the TSA page is says no piercings?? They are not prohibited. It isn't like this lady was trying to bring onboard a gun, knife or GOD FORBID...a water bottle.

They did force her to remove the piercing, not flying isn't a viable option when you have places to go and you have already bought the ticket. She wasn't breaking any rules. When I change my piercings I do it after a thorough alcohol cleaning and do it in the shower where the water helps them slide out easily. If I had to do it without any disinfectant and dry...I would probably cry to. I wouldn't be surprised if they got infected. TSA is so unprofessional it's upsetting...and this is coming from someone who works in the federal government.

Give a break dude, and get a clue.

1. Familiarize themselves with TSA rules?? Yes, is it too much to ask??? I've been stuck behind too many clueless people when I've been traveling and all it does is slow down the process for the rest of us that have taken the time to prepare for the the "TSA gauntlet".

2. TSA has no rules regarding piercings. It does have the following policy.

"Mr Baird said the TSA had no specific policy about body jewellery but if it was big enough to sound an alarm, the person wearing it would not be allowed to pass security until the alarm was investigated."

3. No one at TSA will force anyone to board a plane.

4. I'm glad you take care of your piercings. That doesn't seem to be the case for Ms Hamlin.

I was afraid this thread might attract trouble...

I'm still wondering why they could not just let her show the jewelry to the female agent behind the curtain - why did she have to remove them. I really have had no personal experience with such piercings or anyone who has them but DivePrincess shared her helpful views.

Is this correct? "If you are selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to a pat-down search," the site says.

According to this story: Hamlin would have accepted a "pat-down" had it been offered, Allred said.

On the surface, asking the TSA for an apology seems like a light request...?

I don't take out my piercings when I travel, I was saying when I change them.

You are annoyed that she didn't "know the rules" and I am annoyed at people that don't know the rules too. People that don't take off their shoes. People that have a bunch of liquids not in a 1 oz bag, etc. If she had gone and reviewed the rules on tsa.gov prior to arriving at the airport she wouldn't have found anything about piercings. She was not one of the those people that was not prepared. TSA is the one who screwed up here.

The "policy" it has is a statement to the press about this incident. It isn't a "policy" that is published on their website so she couldn't have known prior. TSA also said that they were supposed to offer her a pat down instead of forcing her to remove them. I'm sure she would have MUCH preferred that. They screwed up, didn't follow procedure, end of story.

On the surface, asking the TSA for an apology seems like a light request...?

You got that right Don, had that happened to me I'd be asking for much more than an apology...beginning with a formal complaint against those TSA inspectors and demanding they be placed on administrative leave (preferably unpaid) while it was investigated.

Okay, in checking TSA site...

"TSA Security Officers have to identify any metal that is detected at the checkpoint. If you set off the alarm, you will undergo additional screening. This includes a hand-wand and pat-down inspection."

Looks like the agents may have been in the wrong, and if she can find a witness to the snickering - bust 'em!

Like every buisness/organization there are those that do their jobs in a professional manner and those that abuse the power they have been granted. We read about police, doctors, nurses, teachers, mail men (and women), the cable guy or girl, politicians and many others that abuse there professional position for one reason or another.

Apologize to her, train the rest of the TSA and if needed discipline the officers that used poor judgement.

I have been through a lot of TSA screenings and even Bonus "special" screenings (XXXX on the bottom of my ticket) and have always been treated professionally. I wouldn't think this is an epedemic of a problem. IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom