Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link Don. I still stand behind the fact that the website does not say it is prohibited, and they should have offered a pat down or visual inspection as opposed to making her remove the piercings. I don't think she should have reasonably expected this to happen because I travel often, and go into government buildings (with metal detectors) very very often and my piercings have never set off the detector.

I also see that the story is on TSA's website and they have a picture of an explosive device hidden in a bra to go along with it. This is inflamatory and prejudicial in my opinion. This is not about a bra IED, this is about nipple piercings. Originally the wand might have made them concerned about that...but a simple pat down or visual inspection would have demonstrated it was not and IED. Also, as far as I know a bra device has never been used in the U.S. Richard Reid attempted to use a shoe bomb during a flight...but I don't recall any "bra threats" in the Homeland.

This is from the TSA website ... TSA: TSA Travel Assistant - Dress The Part
Hidden items such as body piercings may result in your being directed to additional screening for a pat-down inspection. If selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to the pat-down search.

Rickg:
1. Familiarize themselves with TSA rules?? Yes, is it too much to ask??? I've been stuck behind too many clueless people when I've been traveling and all it does is slow down the process for the rest of us that have taken the time to prepare for the the "TSA gauntlet".
not applicable when TSA does something different than is stated on their own site
Rickg:
2. TSA has no rules regarding piercings. It does have the following policy.

"Mr Baird said the TSA had no specific policy about body jewellery but if it was big enough to sound an alarm, the person wearing it would not be allowed to pass security until the alarm was investigated."
Yep, to investigate is not the issue here .. they have a policy and they didn't follow it ... see first quote above
Rickg:
3. No one at TSA will force anyone to board a plane.
True, but not a viable alternative is it?
Rickg:
4. I'm glad you take care of your piercings. That doesn't seem to be the case for Ms Hamlin.
?

One more assault against the freedom we are meant to have in America, all in the name of "national security".

TSA is an abusive organization and Homeland Security is downright freakin' scary. It's not the individuals so much, it's the whole concept and implementation.

And saying that traveler's should know TSA's rules when it's very clear that many of the TSA agents do not is ludicrous.

It's out of hand and the American people need to start standing up and reclaiming all the things we have given away (often without realizing exactly what we're giving away) in the past several years. Scary scary scary.

/rant

Apologize to her, train the rest of the TSA and if needed discipline the officers that used poor judgement.

Her attorney is Gloria Allred, I doubt she is looking for an apology unless it comes folowed by six figures. I just watched an interview with this woman on TV and have no sympathy for her. I am not saying TSA screening measures are fair or effective, but they are what they are. And as for the argument that you could have metal peircings in your bag so why not on your person? Well, I could have an iron bar in my bag, but if I decide to place it up me bum, can I really cry foul when they want it removed to verify what it is or isn't.
Again, as someone who flies several times a month, I do find TSA screening to be more or less a joke, but this woman is not a crusader for rights, she is just another in a series of idiots who want to cash in on a rather minor slight.
Just my opinion of course.

One more assault against the freedom we are meant to have in America, all in the name of "national security".

TSA is an abusive organization and Homeland Security is downright freakin' scary. It's not the individuals so much, it's the whole concept and implementation.

And saying that traveler's should know TSA's rules when it's very clear that many of the TSA agents do not is ludicrous.

It's out of hand and the American people need to start standing up and reclaiming all the things we have given away (often without realizing exactly what we're giving away) in the past several years. Scary scary scary.

/rant
Yep. I've had problems in other airports, not Lubbock - but they kinda know me there. I remember before Spare Air Co got TSA to publish a statement on tanks, that was a lot of fun - but I stand up to them ok. The less experienced would have problems...

Well .. if TSA doesn't follow it's own polices, and the agents get to make their own interpretation of them ... why do they even write them down? .. ther're just winging it I guess

I can't help but wonder - and this is purely speculation while we await more information - but we do get Adult Entertainers flying into Lubbock, and they often stick out in different dress styles. I must wonder if the good ol' boys on duty decided to have a little fun...??

Don,

You seem to have an airline industry fetish. When I want to catch up on what's going on at the airlines or airports, I just search your posts. :confused:

TSA is defineatly going to have to take the heat on this one. Over the top, no doubt about it. Just goes to show that when the best and brightest from Argenbrite, Wackenhut, and others got ported over to TSA, they still didn't match up to the lowest common denominator that should have been required. When are we finally going to get off the PC high horse and allow real security that starts with real profiling? :shakehead:

Have you posted the story about the US Airways' pilot that had an accidental discharge of his weapon in the cockpit during flight yet? You must be slipping, or I missed your post. :D

Don,

You seem to have an airline industry fetish. When I want to catch up on what's going on at the airlines or airports, I just search your posts. :confused:

TSA is defineatly going to have to take the heat on this one. Over the top, no doubt about it. Just goes to show that when the best and brightest from Argenbrite, Wackenhut, and others got ported over to TSA, they still didn't match up to the lowest common denominator that should have been required. When are we finally going to get off the PC high horse and allow real security that starts with real profiling? :shakehead:

Have you posted the story about the US Airways' pilot that had an accidental discharge of his weapon in the cockpit during flight yet? You must be slipping, or I missed your post. :D
I missed that one, and I didn't think the videos of the Fench FA stripping and playing with the pilots would work here - altho it did happen on several flights and concerned me.

I missed that one, and I didn't think the videos of the Fench FA stripping and playing with the pilots would work here - altho it did happen on several flights and concerned me.

LOL. Don't be a hater Don. I'll burn the videos to DVD for you. :D

Back
Top Bottom