Woman Traveling Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raxafarian once bubbled...
was there a swimming pool in the vicinity? Maybe he wanted to head to the bottom of the pool? :wink:
Yeah, Amanda, maybe he hangs out here and recognized you. Did he proffer a tank and regulator when he made the proposition?

What's so hard about French phone numbers? I can order french fries without any problem...

(I just took a look at your pic - the gear is impressive...
Yeah, I bet all that gear gets you feeling warm and tingly...thinking about a pool session? Mmmm...regulators, tanks, and a Malaysian guy... :tease:

Mmmm no he didn't.

I think the starter of the thread is gonna get MAD at us if we start again with our stupidities :D

and to that person who chooses to process information with alternative body parts - the evil eye ! :upset:

and may Mervin be his companion for life :devious:

Ok. So call me "solo".
But my favorite trips have been solo.
I do what I want, when I want.
Sleep in, Dive Early, whatever!
LOVE IT.
Absolutely love it.
I've only been able to do it once or twice in my life.
AND IT WAS FANTASTIC. Loved the freedom.
Besides, it is really hard to find someone I know that will go away with me for a dive trip.
Trish the Fish

I agree - travelling solo. particularly on dive holidays, is great - far better than any other type of holiday on your own because it at least gives you a start point with your fellow travellers - if you have nothing else in common you can talk about the diving, eat a lot and sleep a lot and do something you love! Travelling solo is no different to travelling with people, really - a little common sense goes a long way in terms of personal safety. As regards buddies, I also agree that the worst scenario is being lumped into a threesome, as you are very much an afterthought and tend to get little say in the dive plan or consideration under the water, but will also add that buddies from either heaven or hell are pretty rare in my experience, and good will, good communications and a good attitude, together with an awareness of your limits, will serve you well most of the time.

Liveaboard is the single woman's way to dive! You know you're going to be safe on the boat.

I went on a liveaboard by myself in Australia and had a blast. The only other girls on the boat were part of couples so I hung out with all the single "blokes" and everyone was cool. The instructor offered to be my buddy since I was inexperienced at the time and that was great, knowing that I was buddied with someone good. They did put me in a room with a couple and that felt weird, I guess they did it so I'd have a girl in the room. Anyway, the salon was gorgeous and I felt sick below deck anyway, so I slept on the couch of there with the breeze, gorgeous.

Then I was set to go by myself on Blackbeard's out of Miami for a week. I was only slightly nervous, but more because of the drive to get to Miami than being on the boat. A girlfriend decided to come at the last minute and we had a blast, but I know I would have had just as much of a good time if I was alone. It's so easy to fit in on a liveaboard and there's lots of people that show up alone, although they are mostly men, everyone is so easy to get along with. We all swapped buddies quite a lot so I didn't even dive with my friend that much. Blackbeard's also offers singles cruises if you don't want to be stuck with couples but their regular trip had plenty of people alone. The bunks are mostly single in a big rooms.

It seems instructors and divemasters will try hard to make you feel welcome and not so alone. Go for it for sure! No need to stay at home, you will make so many friends and new dive buddies. I met the love of my life on that second liveaboard and now we enjoy diving together.

I got into diving because of hubby but he prefers inland diving as opposed to the ocean. I like the warm clear stuff but dive with him locally too.

I travel alone but with a group from my favorite dive shop. I always have a great time. Good way to meet new people - I especially like live aboards. I'm usually the only single female so I get a new roomie each time.

My opinion go for it but use your head - if is doesn't feel right it probably isn't right.

Becky

Yes women go alone to dive i do it quit often in fact i have gone on most of my trips alone. I am in Denton Tx so it would not be hard to catch up with you and plan trips. You can also contact me at qangelfish@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing from you. Rhonda

HI!
In March I went alone to Cozumel for a week and dove like crazy. I didn't have any trouble with it at all---There were always people I could buddy up with, (though some were better than others). I dove with the same outfit every day and the divemasters saw pretty quick I could manage myself. The hardest part of the trip was dinner time ---but that doesn't have anything to do with the diving.
If I go again, I think I'll stay at a little inn or B&B in town, rather than at one of the resorts.

Back
Top Bottom