Woody's Diopter on an 50mm Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent. Now I'll just have to make sure I call and get the right size.....assuming it's possible to fit what I have!!

Penny,

Your 5050 already has great super-macro capabilities. A Woody's diopter, while inexpensive, is probably not as good as getting an Inon 165 lens adapter.

Jim

jlyle:
Penny,

Your 5050 already has great super-macro capabilities. A Woody's diopter, while inexpensive, is probably not as good as getting an Inon 165 lens adapter.

Jim
Oh, do tell!!! And where is a good source for this? We do have a wide angle lens for the camera too. Does this need to come off to use the Inon 165 adapter? And I can remove it during a dive?

I think you mean this. But not this.

Am I correct? Although.....would the fisheye be able to serve dual purpose for shooting those lovely deep, green wrecks that I love in the great lakes?

Penny,

Yes the first one! They come in two versions, a bayonet mount and a 67mm screw in mount. I don't know what kind of port adapter you have on your Ike housing. Just like your wide angle lens adapter, these are "wets" and can be removed/replaced underwater. When you stack two of them together, you can do extreme macro with your 5050 -

tongue.jpg

neon.jpg

The dome port is used with the wide angle lens adapter, it's heavy, expensive, and IMHO does not add much to the wide angle lens adapter.

sponges.jpg

J is spot on...for the 5050 head to the wet mate lenses.

If macro is your thing, get two 165s! I rarely bothered with just a single as the 5050 has very good inbuilt macro capabilities.

I didn't spring for the dome, I just went with the WA - and don't regret not getting the dome. For the types of images I am interested in I didn't need it.

Well I know that for the dark green water on wrecks the dome kicks butt. I think I'll save that for on the wrecks....and since I'm more likely to be scootering instead of shooting I'll pass on the dome port for now.

But the 165s.......so that lil fish on the coral......just how close is the lens to him.....and wouldn't he get scared and just swim away?:11:

My goal is for a nice shot of one of those cute little blennies. Preferably with it's mouth open. :)

Getting close is all about diving skills and knowing your subject. Nail those two things and you can shoot right up cozy!

You may want to try a bit of zoom action for shots like you are looking for...it's a matter of finding the balance of personal space of the critter and filling your frame. Sometimes getting as close as you think you can, then using a bit of zoom is your best option. A lot of times you can get as close as you can, then get a bit closer. The creature may disappear - but if you are patient, many times blennies etc will come right back and you're already in position...and then you can again creep a bit closer :wink:

It's pretty much why buddying with photographers can be a bit tedious for non-photographers LOL

Trouble is I don't know my subjects. For example, that one fishie jlyle posted.....lol....I refer to it as a guppy.......hehehe. I'm going to have to get my SO dive buddy to be really patient with me. I have no trouble staying in one place and staring at the texture of the coral for the whole dive. :) I'm thinking that might annoy him, just a bit. (good thing he's so cute..oops, sorry.....handsome)

Back
Top Bottom