Wool sock recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd, I just use one pair of thermal socks that you can get for $1 at the Langley Army & Navy Store. My feet are never cold even when doing 90 min long winter dives. My drysuit is 7mm neoprene and has built in 7mm neoprene boots, so I guess that helps with warmth. Last Sunday I washed my car while wearing a pair of these socks and sandals. The socks were soaked in a min and yet my feet remained warm. At that price you can't go wrong.

BTW what size tanks are you getting?

someone likely mentioned this but ill second it, dont wear cotton sport socks under your wool socks, mae sure its fleece, wool or polypro that is directly against your foot

I worked at EMS for a long time.

I've tried a lot of socks: EMS, Smartwool, Dahlgreen, Dri-Stride, Thorlo, Fox River, Acorn and who knows what else.

In the end, the Smartwool socks are the most expensive but last the longest.

Most of the sock manufactures offer their socks in various thicknesses. Almost all the socks are some blend of merino wool, nylon and polyester. Typically the thicker the sock the higher the merino wool content.

The socks that may the most useful for diving will be their, Smartwool, mountaineering and trekking weight. The primary difference is the height up the calf they come. The mountaineering is taller so that it won't rub you funny in plastic of leather mountaineering boots.

I'd be careful about layering of too many socks. If you squeeze the blood out of your feet, they are going to get cold no matter what.

No cotton what so ever. When it get wet, from sweating, it is simply going to hold that moisture next to your skin.

Something that you can typically get seasonally at places like REI or EMS are the Acorn 200wt Fleece socks. They are definitely one of the warmest socks I've ever put on my feet, however they are sewn together vs. woven together. They tend not to stay up and you can feel the seams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom