Wool sock recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradnerBoy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on the various cold water socks everyone has chosen for use with their drysuit.

My current woollies aren't quite cutting it in the winter and now that I will have more bottom time (bigger tanks), I'm searching out alternatives.

Any insight would be appreciated.

(Ideally, the socks would be available to purchase locally, in the BC Lower Mainland)

Last edited:
I use a pair of Thurlo's thickest wool blended socks from REI, then a pair of DUI 400g booties over them. Any of the drysuit socks that are made of Primaloft or Thinsulate should work fine.

I recently upgraded my socks to a pair of thin fleece socks (Zellers) with "-40C" wool socks on top. The wool ones came from a fisherman's supply store in Steveston but I'm sure you can get something similar elsewhere. This combo works great for me.

here are a couple of other thoughts on keeping your feet feeling warm.
One trick that I have heard about from fisherman and hunters that spend there day in chest waders. They use an anti-perspirant that helps keep your foot dry. Just put it on the bottom of your foot.
the idea is that there is cooling in evaporation and your feet feel cold when they are damp (sweaty) . if you reduce the amount of perspiration, you reduce the amount of cooling to your feet.
the other idea that I have used that has seemed to work is to use the "Dry socks" that wick the moisture away from your foot. Wear these under a good pair of socks and they work well in my short experience with it. I just wear a pair of white athletic socks on top of the dry socks, ankle height. I purchased my "dry socks" from Mark's Work Wear.
my two bits worth.......

I use boot liners. Very warm and don't get compressed.

Smart wool (Merino wool) makes light, medium and heavy weight socks.
EMS also has a brand of Merino wool socks.

We wear those ice diving and my feet stay warm all day long.

You did not say what type of boot your wearing. I found attached boots are warmer then a sock/over boot combo. The attached boots you can put a little air in them and the socks stay more fluffed then compressed. With over boots don't tie them to tight so you can get a little air in them. Just be mindful of how much air you put in your feet, you don't want an inverted elevator ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom