Work experiences/best locations, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12voltman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:teach:

I'm not on this board very often, but it seems like one of the better scuba boards with a pretty diverse and knowledgeable group of users. With that in mind I thought I might try to pick a few brains and take advantage of some of the experience that's out there. This is for any of you with actual experience as instructors/divemasters.

I am a relatively new instructor and looking for a place to work. But....and to me it's an important but. I'm looking for a place that will allow me to become the best instructor I can be. I want a place that allows me to learn styles and approachs to teaching while mentoring new instructors that are willing to work hard. I'm thinking about traveling to several locations (outside the U.S.) in person and knocking on doors. Sending out resumes and answering ads on the internet seems to be more than futile and getting me nowhere.

I'm not a kid anymore, but I am much younger than my 44 years, and I'm very travel savvy and willing to work in any number of locations. I'm an airline empoyee on a long term leave of absence (read as I was ahead of the curve and decided to be a scuba instructor rather than deal with all the b.s. going on in the industry right now), and I still retain the ability to travel pretty much worldwide (with a few exceptions) for free. I can get to and from a location pretty easily. I'm looking for a job that will actually pay you, as opposed to interning, or merely getting free room and board. I'm willing to factor in that free room and board will lessen actual pay, but some monetary compensation has to be involved.

I don't want to be long winded. Any pro's out there with good experiences and would recommend geographic locations, or specific shops that have good work environments? I really appreciate any help in trying to avoid some of the landmines out there.

Back
Top Bottom