Workers Compensation Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolf eel

Contributor
Reaction score
looking for opinions about WCB and the Occupational diving course and if anybody feels it was worth their time ?

Also did you learn anything ?

Cheers

wolf eel:
looking for opinions about WCB and the Occupational diving course and if anybody feels it was worth their time ?

Also did you learn anything ?

Cheers

I might be able to help you. What school and what course were you looking at? Occupational scuba (fishfarming), or occupational surface supplied (construction/offshore work)?

Quite honestly, I wouldn't waste your time and money. People at these schools are trying to sell you something so they make everything in the industry sound great. Truth is, most people who graduate from commercial diving schools leave the industry within a couple of years. Work can be hard to come by, so you will need to juggle several jobs. The pay, even union pay, sucks. For the risks and expenses involved it just isn't worth it. Go and learn a good construction trade instead. You will make more money and not have to risk your life in some effluent pond at some ****ty pulp mill or chemical plant.

There isn't much that is good about the industry. The safety record is bad. Many of the people you end up working with are drunks and substance abusers. You will spend your life on the road living in motels. Unless you somehow get to be a saturation diver offshore you will never make the 'big money'.

Having said all of that, I know some people who have 'made it' in the industry and they love it. They love the lifestyle and try to live up to the image. I worked for three years in the commercial diving and hyperbaric industries and moved on. I make waaay more money now and don't have to risk my life or deal with pinko union politics. Also, I've discovered the FUN of diving again. Most commercial divers laugh at sport divers and scoff at the idea of diving for no pay. I guess what I'm trying to say is...your mileage may vary. It may be what you want in your life. My advice: save your money and don't bother with it.

Did I learn anything? Hell yes! You will learn far more about physics, physiology, and decompression theory than any scuba course will teach (the exception being high end tech courses like GUE). We also did blasting projects with high explosives, underwater burning and welding, diving every hat under the sun (including old fashioned 'heavy gear') and working with hyperbaric chambers doing an o2 tolerance test (100% o2 @ 60' for 30 minutes), surface decompressions on air and oxygen, and a narcosis test (fun!!!)to 200 feet to see how you handle the narc.

All of this knowledge relates nicely to scuba diving, but the skills are apples and oranges. I know lots but I'm still a crappy scuba diver...if that makes any sense? If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for your reply but I was more looking at the occupationial course I know all about the commercial end of diving I was com diver for many years. But the farm diver has changed and WCB has got there very nasty talins into it and I think ucked it all up.
Funny how not one farmer has responded.

wolf eel:
Thanks for your reply but I was more looking at the occupationial course I know all about the commercial end of diving I was com diver for many years. But the farm diver has changed and WCB has got there very nasty talins into it and I think ucked it all up.
Funny how not one farmer has responded.

No problem. I'm just curious what increased WCB involvement there is in the fishfarm end of it? The WCB 'occupational scuba' thing has been around for at least 8 years as far as I know, and has (since then) been a requirement for any kind of commercial scuba. Has this only just applied to fishfarms recently? Also, what school is offering the occupational diver course? I don't think WCB actually provides the course itself.

I've been a commercial CONSTRUCTION diver for 32yrs. I've made great money and Union too!
In the Pacific Northwest, commercial diving and SCUBA diving are not the same thing. Diving in construction is just that, Construction, but Underwater. Most of the work in on the surface. Few get work all Year 'round. I get an average of 800-900 hrs a year underwater. I work all year 'round but, to round the year out I do Piledriving the other hours.
Most of the work is done in a light Hardhat or full Mask/hood with Hose and communication from a compressor. Much, Much, safer than SCUBA. Contrary to "Public" knowledge, the safety record is very good. Much of the injuries are in the North Sea or Guf of Mexico. That is where the Young and inexperenced (of course not ALL) are.
If Commercial diving is what You want then a Good Commercial Diving School is a must. Not much money the first 5 yrs or so. There are TONS of People trying to make it in diving where the Saturation diver can make $700 a day. Remember the sat. diver only works 20-30 days every three months. Do the math, a real job pays more....Bill

dilligaf368:
I've been a commercial CONSTRUCTION diver for 32yrs. I've made great money and Union too!
In the Pacific Northwest, commercial diving and SCUBA diving are not the same thing. Diving in construction is just that, Construction, but Underwater. Most of the work in on the surface. Few get work all Year 'round. I get an average of 800-900 hrs a year underwater. I work all year 'round but, to round the year out I do Piledriving the other hours.

Hi Bill. Sounds like you are an American diver. Up here in BC the government body overseeing the industry is the Workers Compensation Board of BC (WCB). They approve or 'certify' divers for work in this province. An 'occupational diver' (the term that appears on your WCB cert card) can be either surface supplied or scuba. Scuba is (rightly so in my opinion) limited to seafood harvesting and some inspection work. For any kind of construction, welding, powertools, working with cranes etc...you must be surface supplied with minimum 3 man crew among other requirements.

I initially replied to this thread because the fellow didn't specify whether he was interested in surface supply or scuba. He just said he was interested in the 'occupational diver' course. Up here, the term 'WCB approved occupational diver' can mean anything from scuba fishfarm diver to mixed gas saturation diver. WCB doesn't make the distinction between 'real commercial diving' and 'scuba diving'. Hope that clears it up for you.

I'm happy that the construction diving career worked out for you. You got involved during the 'hey dey' of commercial diving. I can assure you the job prospects for new divers are not the same as they were in 1973. With your seniority and experience you will never have to worry about employment. No offense but you're living in a different world. Keep diving safely and be nice to the youngsters in your union.

Swordfish
You posted as I was typing.
Anyhow I know all that all I am asking is do you feel it was worth your time or should it be scraped. I agree about the union also. Its near impossible for young guys to get any form of work. Thats part and parcel to the course it seems like loads of cash with out any real return.

wolf eel:
Swordfish
Anyhow I know all that all I am asking is do you feel it was worth your time or should it be scraped. I agree about the union also. Its near impossible for young guys to get any form of work. Thats part and parcel to the course it seems like loads of cash with out any real return.

Yes, just caught that. Sorry. I suspect the occupational scuba course is a waste of time. You say you worked in the industry as a CD for years. Did you go to school for it or learn on the job as you were allowed in the old days? Did you apply to WCB to get 'grandfathered' into a certification or have you been working without the WCB card? If you have a card for surface supply it should cover you for scuba as well, so you wouldn't need to take the course. I guess I'm just confused as to which 'occupational diver' course you mean as there are a bunch of them. What is your current certification?

wolf eel:
Swordfish

I think it should be scrapped as far as the fishfarm work goes. I think that all started because CDG started creating courses that then became WCB mandatory, like they were in bed together or something. I don't see much point in the 'occupational scuba' cert. quite honestly.

I do think it is unfortunately necessary for the more dangerous hardhat construction diving. Totally agree it is a ton of cash with little chance of it paying off. 20-30 years ago you could make a go of it. Pretty tough now.

The WCB Fish farm requirements came along as requested by a coroner after the 3rd diving death in 6 years on a salmon farm.

The WCB course is a relatively cheap first step for someone looking to enter the commercial diving industry.

Back
Top Bottom