Workers Compensation Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a CD course twenty years ago but the "grandfather clause" is now closed. The reason I am asking is not because I am not aware of the course but if anybody felt that it helped them in the idustry because mainly the only ones who use it are farmers.

I am very much oppossed to WCB and how they have a mandate to do as they please. That course (OD) is just such a waste of time and money and it benefits nobody. I am one of the first so I was told to do free lance farm work. It started with PAF under Brad Hicks and went from their. The problem I am having is the cost and how they expect you to cover all the cost out of pocket. I still do my own work all the time you can bend the rules to your side if you review how it is layed out.
I was hoping somebody may respond who has taken it and felt the same way. I left the coast for a bit and Kelly coral or Koral lost all the information about me from 1994 to 1985 and now I have been told the Grandfather part is done. Again back to the cost and living expenses and so forth. This has been brooding for a bit. I agree about hard hat divers and such yes but to not be able to do all kinds of other work because of that OD course is a joke.
Rant done
Cheers

nwdiver2 The WCB Fish farm requirements came along as requested by a coroner after the 3rd diving death in 6 years on a salmon farm.
Thats not completley true at all. It came into effect because of people complaining about having to work after diving, where you diving in the industry then at all ? We had very safe farms and the divers where mainly CD divers trying to make a buck.
The WCB course is a relatively cheap first step for someone looking to enter the commercial diving industry.
Again that is not true at all. The cost is huge for gaining no usefull information or skills. Remember as you said the farms are the reason fro the course but look again and see if the OD course does you any training in the area of farm diving ? It fails you completley have you taken the course yourself ? Or talked with anybody about it who works ?

I worked for over 20 years in salmon Farming in BC and Chile. I do know what I'm talking about. There were 2 farms on the BC coast when I started.

Thats about when I was Paf Pacific Aqua foods. I sent you a quick e-mail. Don buckner was the only guy teaching anything out of Comox. And then after many complaints about workers working after dives and the three guys who thought they where bent coming over from I think Zeballuos which I have heard this has happend again and so on they with the help of a couple of the guys that run the course started the OD course and we all could have gotten Grandfathered in but they have since made not allowed.
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom