PADI or NAUI Instructor for traveling 20-something?

• PADI

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • NAUI

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there! This is my first post on here so bare with me...

I have been an avid world travel & scuba diver for the past 9 years. My next adventure/aspiration is to teach scuba somewhere tropical for a few years. I started off PADI (Ow, AD, Rescue, EANx), but I now work and train at a NAUI facility (master diver, FIT, DM, IA)... I know that there are LOADS more PADI facilities than NAUI facilities in the Caribbean & Indonesia-Pacific (main areas of interest), but I also am aware of PADI’s common reputation.

I am trying to decide whom I want to train as an instructor with, NAUI or PADI. I know I can always cross-over, but I feel that being an instructor for an agency that a dive stop in the tropics is also a part of will gain me some bonus points, instead of having to wait until I complete a cross-over... UGH I’m confused on which agency to go with, & would like some insightful guidance- maybe from a fellow traveler/traveling instructor?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

I know that there are LOADS more PADI facilities than NAUI facilities in the Caribbean & Indonesia-Pacific (main areas of interest)
That's your answer. However, best you get BOTH certs, then you are covered. Easier to crossover from PADI to NAUI than vice versa.

Easier to crossover from PADI to NAUI than vice versa.

Not true at all, it is the opposite. It is FAR EASIER to crossover to PADI from NAUI.

Hi there! This is my first post on here so bare with me...

I have been an avid world travel & scuba diver for the past 9 years. My next adventure/aspiration is to teach scuba somewhere tropical for a few years. I started off PADI (Ow, AD, Rescue, EANx), but I now work and train at a NAUI facility (master diver, FIT, DM, IA)... I know that there are LOADS more PADI facilities than NAUI facilities in the Caribbean & Indonesia-Pacific (main areas of interest), but I also am aware of PADI’s common reputation.

I am trying to decide whom I want to train as an instructor with, NAUI or PADI. I know I can always cross-over, but I feel that being an instructor for an agency that a dive stop in the tropics is also a part of will gain me some bonus points, instead of having to wait until I complete a cross-over... UGH I’m confused on which agency to go with, & would like some insightful guidance- maybe from a fellow traveler/traveling instructor?

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

There are more PADI facilities but there is more need for NAUI instructors all over the world than for PADI. NAUI facilities tend to keep their NAUI instructors more and treat them better.

There are more PADI facilities but there is more need for NAUI instructors all over the world than for PADI. NAUI facilities tend to keep their NAUI instructors more and treat them better.
Gotcha- yes I can see how that is the case. Thank you for your input!

Gotcha- yes I can see how that is the case. Thank you for your input!

You can always come and teach for us in Libya, you will have a huge market, women who want female instructor. If you can teach swimming also, that is a huge bonus too :)

Not true at all, it is the opposite.

ditto, going from NAUI to PADI is infinitely easier.

That all said *as a NAUI instructor*, you are more likely to find work as a PADI instructor because there are more slots for them. Working as NAUI instructor opens up some interesting opportunities for you and if you can find a gig, then I think you'll ultimately be happier.

Having traveled to tons and tons of dive destination around the world. I would say you will have much more luck finding a job as PADI or SSI (especially in Asia) instructor than NAUI. But like most said it is very easy to cross over.

It's just that most dive centers are PADI since that is what most people know so the big name draws them in. Honestly I can't say I have even seen an NAUI advertised facility in my travels through Asia with the exception of maybe one or two in Malaysia and currently I spend about 4 month out of the year diving in Asia.

My two cents: become an instructor for both and if you don’t already speak a second language, learn one!

The lack of an additional language has cost me a couple of job opportunities as they went with the multilingual candidate over me.

Back
Top Bottom