Worst trend in Scuba Diving instruction many of us have ever seen...Avoid Groupon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM sent!

Everyone has a learning curve when it comes to Social Media. I'm sure that their heart is in the right place and I'm here to help whenever possible.

I'm not current with PADI standards, but believe you didn't actually get the minimum amount of pool time they require. You paid half-price, but AFAIK, only got about half a class.

flots

PADI standards don't mandate a minimum amount of pool time, only that the students demonstrate mastery of the skills. I agree that 6 hours sounds like a short time period to reach that level but it depends on the class size and skill level. I have done a private course for an experienced free diver that took much less than 6 hours for him to demonstrate that he could easily perform all of the required skills.

We need to help them to understand the damages this can do to diving.....
"bad experiences in huge low end courses"
"too many in class for learning to take place, meaning fear and/ or dissatisfaction may turn students off to diving forever"
... can't be good for anybody !!!!!! "

I've used the same arguments when addressing the current level of SCUBA training in-general. Some of the responses I've received are:

- Current training is satisfactory. Look at the statistics! It's not that the fatality rate of divers is out-of-hand, so you're mistaken!
- Your not an "Evolved Instructor;" put aside old training methods!
- Increased numbers allow more people to enjoy the underwater world!
- As a result of increased divers, more businesses are drawn to the development of diving technology, resulting in improved equipment where everyone can benefit!
- More dives mean more Resorts and more Dive Shops!
- Who cares about buoyancy skills (or any skills for that matter); a C-Card is a license to learn!
- Why can't a non-swimmer dive?

So what's the problem? Let's encourage low end courses. Why not lower Standards to get more divers and grow the industry!

(Entire post said sarcastically)

:)

"Wall of text"
I didnt even read this due to the wall of text that hit me in the face - try paragraphing next time :)

PADI standards don't mandate a minimum amount of pool time, only that the students demonstrate mastery of the skills.

Disappointing but not surprising.

flots.

Looking through the standards that they post online, SSI and NASE don't have a minimum amount of pool time either. I couldn't find published standards for SDI or NAUI online and didn't look for any other agencies. Do you know of standards for an agency that does require a certain amount of pool time or were you just trying to get a dig in at PADI even if everyone else's standards are the same on this point?

Looking through the standards that they post online, SSI and NASE don't have a minimum amount of pool time either. I couldn't find published standards for SDI or NAUI online and didn't look for any other agencies. Do you know of standards for an agency that does require a certain amount of pool time or were you just trying to get a dig in at PADI even if everyone else's standards are the same on this point?

Instruction methods are performance based, regardless of agency affiliation. I never teach more than 2 students at a time. If I taught a class of 8, I would expect to spend significantly more time in the pool than with my class of 1 or 2. Should I spend useless hours with my students? Mastery is mastery, if they get it in one shot (which is what I expect, and usually get), should I make them do skills over and over to demonstration level? Should I make them get cold just to satisfy some course syllabus that requires a minimum number of hours? Maybe if I teach at a college or university, but I don't.

I'm also one of the bhb groupon divers. I would have never been able to afford the hobby without it and online stores with deep discounts. I buy what I can afford at my lds but mostly tank rentals, additional training, and boat trips.

My shop limits class sizes. We had 3 instructors for an 8+ hour pool session and 2 at the bridge with 6 to 7 students. When I did bhb day 1 visibility was 10 ft, I didn't even see the bridge.

We did settle at the bottom away from the bridge when mask clearing etc, but I was bouyant the majority of the time. We were told not to silt while swimming but no mention of it during skills as we settled on our knees.

My second day at bhb was much better for visibility. I don't recall mucking it up but with the currents, but who knows.

I also haven't see more than 30 or so divers at one time. As a matter of fact on my last dive there I only ran into 2 groups while under the bridge. I saw more dive flags.

This thread reminds me of jerks who honk the horn at cyclists, the lane is for all of us.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Do you know of standards for an agency that does require a certain amount of pool time or were you just trying to get a dig in at PADI even if everyone else's standards are the same on this point?

It's not a dig. My disappointment is genuine, and has more to do with my definition of "mastery" than "who's standards are lower.". Demonstrating skills right after being shown is not mastery in my book.

If I show someone how to clear a mask, and then they do it, that's not "mastery", it's "mimicry." If they can do it next week without being shown, now we're getting somewhere. Still do it the week after? Now I'm convinced.

Your Mileage May Vary.

flots.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom