Would anyone be interested in a DIY spring strap kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If we can work out a way for me to pay you from the Philppines I'll take a set and I've got a couple of buddies that will probably take a set each, so make it 3 sets to fit Mares Avanti Quattros for me.

Great idea!!!

Drew

Cool - there seems to be some interest in this. Sounds like it will be worthwhile.

Do Twin Jets use "normal" fin lugs and buckles, or do they use a Jet Fin style attachment? I was only planning to get the bits together for the non Jet Fin type fins - the S hook attachment seems to be the simplest and neatest solution - not sure where you could source the attachment hardware that would be needed to do the Jet Fins. They seem a little more complex and outside of the scope of what I was planning. I'll let this thread run until the weekend, and on Sunday evening I'll put an order in for the number of springs needed, organise all the other bits and pieces, and then once it's all together, post a final cost and payment details.

Planned parts at this stage (might change a little):

2 x 11" stainless steel springs 1/2" OD .062" wire
4 x stainless steel S hooks
2 x approx 10" lengths 5/8" ID clear tubing (might use 1/2" - will try both to see which is best)
4 x approx 1.5" lengths 1/2" ID black tubing
2 x lengths cave line tied off inside spring to prevent overexpansion

Assembly should just consist of trimming the springs to length (if required), sliding the tube on, threading the cave line inside of the springs, crimping the S hooks onto each end of the springs with pliers, tying the cave line off the the S hooks to prevent overstretching the spring, and finally crimping the S hooks onto the buckle lugs of each fin with pliers. I'm a size 12 boot, and I measured my foot in the fin, and don't expect to have to trim the spring - YMMV. The next shortest size spring is only 8", which is a bit useless for most people, so I'll stick to 11" to keep things simple. I've got a website where I can post some detailed instructions and photos of me assembling mine once I get the parts.

Ben

Great - that's 15 sets counting two for me. I'll put an order in today, and everyone that's replied so far will have kits reserved for them - we'll do this first batch of 15, and if it works out and no-one has major problems with the design and assembly, I'll look at doing another batch for anyone else interested.

Once the springs and other doodads turn up, I'll add it all up and let everyone know the final cost, and PM everyone that's registered their interest with details on how to get me the money. Should be able to figure something out with either PayPal or a money order.

Might take a week or two to get all the bits in, but as of now I'm working on it. If anyone else wants a kit, keep adding your name to this thread, but there might be a bit of a wait until this round is finished and mailed out.

Okay - parts are ordered, I'll know a final cost and have payment details by Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom