Would anyone be interested in a DIY spring strap kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already made my own once, but would love to have a couple of kits around for the fins of tomorrow.

Count me in for two kits if you do another run.

Ben,

When I used the S-hook technique on my Mares, I connected the S-hook to the post first and left the spring side of the S-hook open. This allowed me to "try on" my fins, take the spring off and shorten it, then try the fit again until they were perfect.

Also, I used S-hooks that may not have yielded to regular pliers (robogrips, maybe). If super heavy duty S-hooks are used, a bench vise will do the job with almost no effort.

buff once bubbled...
I'm in for two sets if I can use them on Mares Quattros.

Mike
Yep, these kits will end up looking like the ones on this page:

http://www.cyber-strategy.org/pers/FinStraps.html

except we'll be getting S hooks like Stone described, instead of tying wire off around the posts. Plus we might have all clear tubing, not black. So they'll fit the Mares, my Cressi-Subs, and any other fins with a 1/2" lug.

I ended up getting 18 kits, so there should be enough for any late entries.

Ben

If you haven't bought S-hooks for the Mares Quatro folks yet, here's something I posted to another thread:
I bought stainless S-hooks from Home Depot that have the nomenclature: 177 X 2 1/8 Stainless. They were just the right size for fitting over the larger diameter post head without having to spread the S hook

I went to 4 or 5 hardware stores before I found this particular S-hook. This S-hook is probably the heaviest duty S-hook that fits without actually being too big.

The original post with a couple of pictures is Here, about 6 posts down.

Thanks Stone. I pinched your idea for the S hooks from that thread. The hardware shops I have access to only have cheapo zinc plated hooks, so I bought the stainless steel variety from McMaster-Carr when I ordered the springs. All I need to sort out now is the clear tubing - I bought a few short lengths of different sizes today to see which will be the best to use - I can get a bunch of it locally relatively cheap.

Here's who I've got down for spring strap kits:

bengiddins x 1 (shipped)
jonnythan x 1 (shipped)
----- x 1 (cancelled)
Ranz x 2 (shipped)
unit240 x 1 (shipped)
Kronos13 x 1 (shipped)
happybuddha x 3 (pending payment)
lal7176 x 1 (shipped)
Tavi x 1 (shipped)
Jarhead x 1 (shipped)
buff x 2 (shipped)
MSilvia x 2 (shipped)
erich x 1 (shipped)

That's the full 18 kits spoken for. Take a look at the cyber-strategy link a couple of posts up - your fins will need to have buckles/lugs like the Mares Quattros for these kits to fit. My Cressi-Subs have the same arrangement. These kits WON'T fit Jet Fins or Turtles - I don't know where to source the little delrin or aluminum cylinders needed to fit that style of fin, apart from getting some custom made, which is outside of the scope of what I'm trying to do here.

thanks to everyone for getting behind this idea!

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom