Would anyone be interested in a DIY spring strap kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
(moved this into a new thread)

Who would actually be interested in buying spring straps if you could get all the parts together in a kit mailed to you? I saw a thread on an oz board where one user is getting 20 pairs made up for other users of their board at cost - they're also doing the same thing with a bunch of backplates (USA is lucky to have FredT for that!). The individual springs are available in packs of 3, so it would make sense to buy say 10 packs, and that's 30 springs - enough for 15 pairs, plus all the assorted vinyl tubing etc in one purchase, divide it up into "kits", and mail them out. You get everything you need in the one package - would be much easier than hunting it all up for yourself.

Any takers? Register your interest on this thread and if there's enough people, I'll figure out the cost - which would be "at cost" plus postage, and see if it's worthwhile. Should work out a lot cheaper than the commercial offerings.

I have a friend that goes by unit240 on the board that is currently looking for spring straps. Maybe send him a message.

Ooh.

Sure. I am :)

Just did the math - it would work out roughly $20 a kit including postage. Maybe a bit less, and probably cheaper again if I can source the tubing locally - but it looks like everything we need is available from the McMaster-Carr website. There's minimum lengths of a few items like the stainless steel wire that makes it expensive to just make up a few kits, so if we can get 10 people to say yes I'll go ahead and organise it.

Spring straps for the people! :D

FYI i got 20 feet of the clear tubing at a hardware store for around $6 canadian so thats a pretty cheap source for that.

If you're going to make a kit up for mares fins, check mddolsons response in that other spring strap thread, very nice looking and cleaner than other solutions i've seen.

steve

Thanks steve - the shackles would add about $5-$6 to the cost of the kit - not prohibitive, and probably easier for some folk to deal with than wrapping wire.

Stone's S hook idea is also a good one.

It's only jonnythan and myself at the moment though, so I'm going to have to see if I can get a few more responses for it to go ahead.

Me and Marian have ScubaPro Twin Jets, and we would like to go to spring straps. How long you going to let this brew? If it happens soon, sign me up for a two fin set, if it takes a while, I may purchase my own items. Thanks!
Jimmy

Count me in on this. I was just talking to CincyBengalsFan about this less than a week ago. I would need a kit for Mares Avanti Quatros. Thanks for the PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom