Would pool dives be good for practice between OW dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes.

the K

Yes!

Before a trip my wife and I always rent the local pool for 2 hours. cheap here $80, and checkout out equipment. There is always something new going underwater from the placement of a clip to a new camera or something. Doing this has saved us a lot of hassle when something was broken or not quite right!

As stated, anything is better than 'drying out'.

Shallow water buoyancy control practice makes a significant difference at depths. I'm challenged several times a month to demonstrate buoyancy at 6' in hyper-salinity water. It makes 'real' dives picture perfect.

I like the pool to work on my bouyancy (still working) and to always test new gear. As cfelliot said, it lets me play with the positioning and get used to it in an environment where I can pretty much focus on the single task. That way when I get out in the open I already know how the gear works and where I want it positioned. You might want to check with the LDS, ours will let us use the pool when they are teaching classes for free.

There are things you can not do in a pool.

But it does give you a chance to keep familiar with your equipment, familiar with putting it together and familiar with its operation. As noted above, you can work on your trim and buoyancy. You can also work on clearing your ears. If the pool is almost empty and large, you can work a bit on navigation. If you go with a partner, you can work on signs and sharing air.

An important thing is that doing this can make you more comfortable with diving. Quite a few dive problems occur when people get out of their comfort zone. Another area of problems is "task loading". Pool work can help here.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a couple places to go near by they are about 3 hours away I just thought if I wanted to get wet on a short weekend that this would be the way to go, but I also would prefer to go to a lake or somthing like that.

Yes, the pool would be a great way to keep up your skills you have learned during your certification course. If you can though, I would do my best to search the area for a lake, quarry, or ocean. But if there are no lakes or quarries where you are going to be located, the pool would be a great place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom