• Yes, definitely

Votes: 149 64.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Always buy used and never buy new!!!

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking at AL 80 tanks on e-bay for a while now and have found the the ones that look good are going for about $80 - $90. Add $25 for shipping, $15 for Visual.

New AL 80 from LDS is $189 and comes with $60 worth of free fills. If I add $60 in fills to the ebay tank it comes to $180 - $190.

Since I'm a newbie and won't be doing my own hydros, inspections or fills, I guess I'll buy new ones.

Now if I was in an area with more dive shops and a lot of used tanks at garage sales......hmmm.

Jeff

Just recently picked up (2) 80 al tanks. $10 total cost.

I'm newbie to diving and did some research before I went to check the tanks out before purchasing.

I just looked over the tanks, and checked manufacture and hydro dates. The tanks weren't beat up the last hydro was around '93 and manufature about 5 yrs before that. That is my extent of my check.

I figured $5 a tank, why not.

My LDS inspection visual, hydro, burst dics & fill $52 total per tank.

I think it was worth it. :)

Just don't get an older tank. Make sure it is in hydro. Make sure it has a current vip. Or don't pay squat for it. Hydros around here go for between $18-$35, a vip is $11-$18. Beware also of the valves (another $50). New tank (alluminum 80), valve and all with 5years left on a hydro: $120. Don't pay much for the used tank, but if the price is right, go for it. Four of my eight tanks I bought used ($10-$50ea). Haven't had a problem.

I don't think I'd be comfortable buying one on e-bay, though. But I'm pretty much not comfortable buying anything on e-bay, so you might take that into consideration.

Good luck!

All of my tanks that I have been used but I can tell you those old steel tanks seem to last forever. I have one from 60's that I used and it still works great like it was a new one.:)

By all means...Get used tanks. They are the best deal of all...BUT....You have to know what to look for. For starters...Stay away from most 1980's Luxfer tanks. Some tanks made outside the U.S. If you can get a Catalina...Your doing alright.

Shadow,
That tank sale sounds like fraud to me. Am I right in thinking that you thought it was a Faber 3000psi steel 72 because it was painted a nice white color? For future reference (not that it helps you now), I would ask about a used tank on here. There's a lot of knowledgable people to help out. I don't think US Divers ever sold Faber HP steel tanks, only the PST HP 3.5 series. Also, USD steel 72's (LP 2250) tend to be Yellow, Black, or plain Galvanized. I'm not sure I've ever seen them in a different color unless they were repainted. I would drop this guy a line and politely let him know you will persue this issue, definately with his ebay rating.
Let us know how you make out.
Tom

assuming they are in good shape and are up to par... for sure.... if one looks after a tank it can last a long time if not a lifetime...

i just picked up a couple used AL80's with free air from the lds for a year... that will more than pay for the tanks the amount of diving i'm doing and then i have basically free tanks....

ask and ye shall receive

YES,

I buy and sell used tanks under the following conditions:
That they will meet current Hydro and visual requirements,
(including visual eddy on suspect aluminum alloy)

If they fail, money back.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom