Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
is it possible to both support whatever decision they make, and to discourage the idea?

(and maybe this post of mine in the thread won't get cleaned out due to being offtopic...)

NO if you discourage me from going, but tell me you will support my decision all that tells me is that you can not stop me, but probably would if you could

I think it is, Lamont. I was just recently considering joining the National Guard. Because of my prior service, I could still go in, probably at a reduced rank, and I was eligible for a $15,000 signing bonus. Mighty attractive, and I could go back to being in an Army aviation unit and working medevac missions as a flight medic. In talking it over with my dad, he did his very best to talk me out of it, but in the end, he said it was up to me. His misgivings caused me to re-think my decision, and I decided that I've put in my time. I've been to combat. I've served my country. It's someone else's turn, now.

lamont:
is it possible to both support whatever decision they make, and to discourage the idea?

(and maybe this post of mine in the thread won't get cleaned out due to being offtopic...)

I do think that it is ok to discourage but support.

I've served my country. It's someone else's turn, now.

don't hold your breath on that one, I think the word is out.

Even guys that planned to make it a career are going to be jumping ship,
most people don't want four and five tours, only to be looking down the barrel at Iran and North Korea.
I hope the "talking to them" works out for the next team that is coming up to bat. Cause, these times could soon actually be "the good old days".

Somebody out there might soon actually have to ask the next generation to defend us, as in life or death, not as "is this the best career path for your future".

Once in combat might not be enough anymore unless a few more step up, and I don't see that happening. I am with Rick on this. I hope somebody out there in America has a plan. (even if it isn't perfect, just a plan, to prevent a madman from setting off a nuclear bomb.--because one thing we know, is that they like spectacular explosions, and it will be the mother of all explosions.

My best prediction is that will put our sons and daughters on the same page, but until then, it is not likely. "Encourage" or "support" won't even be on the radar.

hey--I hope I am wrong, I have kids too.

catherine96821:
don't hold your breath on that one, I think the word is out.

What does this mean? The reinstatement of the draft, perhaps? If so, fine. I will happily go. It's the only place where I've ever felt like I belonged anyway, and about the only thing I've ever been really good at. *shrug*

Fish_Whisperer:
What does this mean? The reinstatement of the draft, perhaps? If so, fine. I will happily go. It's the only place where I've ever felt like I belonged anyway, and about the only thing I've ever been really good at. *shrug*

I thought that was just me? :)

I didn't tell my kid to NOT do it, I just filled him in on what to expect from my prior experience from '69 - '72..
His uncle, a former Army Ranger during the early daze of Viet Nam also filled him in on what to expect.
It was basically "find a billet / MOS where you can learn a trade that you can use when you get out".
The fart enlisted in the Guard as "airborne infantry" so he could rappel outta helicopters.
Lots of work for that on the outside, but who am I to talk, being an "ordnance mechanic".
After being in for a couple of years he told his commander that he "didn't want to kill someone who's only "crime" was to be protecting his homeland from a foreign invader".
I don't know how he managed it, but they cut him loose.
In spite of what "they" may tell you, you not only have the right, but have an obligation to refuse any order that you feel is illegal. Like torture, for instance. And killing unarmed civilians.

What does this mean? The reinstatement of the draft, perhaps? If so, fine.

I certainly have no idea, I was sort of hoping for volunteers and thought if we treated them a bit better (funding, respect, alliance) and stopped suggesting that it was "not that bright to do it" that we might recruit more willing candidates.

Yea, the curse of combat seems to be never quite fitting in perfectly again, in some ways. Look at McCain...a great guy but has screw loose you can't quite put your finger on. I think it makes you a little nuts to "know the things you know" and be around people that don't.

I don't know how he managed it, but they cut him loose.
probably a very good call, don't you think?

catherine96821:
I think it makes you a little nuts to "know the things you know" and be around people that don't.

I guess it can. Most of the time, I'm just glad that other people don't know and haven't been there. And really, most of the time, I don't think much about it or talk about it. It disturbs me when soldiers are depicted by Hollywood as mindless drones, stupid automotons, or when people like John Kerry imply that soldiers are dumb and uneducated. That actually bugs me more than a lot of the more blatant stuff that goes on.

Me too.

And I think it will hurt us. Maybe you would like doing the civilian contractor medic thing...they have openings. WC gave me some connections for an RN job but JB asked me to please stay here.

But, you can comit for just 90 days and play it by ear, still make a contribution if that is what you feel the calling for. Me, I really feel frustrated sitting here in Hawaii by the phone. Sometimes your calling is not your calling, lol.

There is a job running the USO in Kandahar, the lady said "well, you know we pretty much just drop you off"...that must be a trip to be there and not be with the military. WC told me he had to get from the airport to his camp by himself. Now...that is a whole nother thing. I forgive his ravings at times, cause the guy walks the walk. He has spent a lot of time trying to make things not blow up. Plus, I respect a guy that can eat goat squating like that in the dirt.

I'm just glad that other people don't know and haven't been there.
that is benevolent of you.

Back
Top Bottom