Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I think it makes you a little nuts to "know the things you know" and be around people that don't.

you mean like how almost nobody gets my jokes that combine quantum field theory, keynesian economics, FreeBSD, psychedelics and anarcho-syndicalism?

catherine96821:
Me too.

And I think it will hurt us. Maybe you would like doing the civilian contractor medic thing...they have openings. WC gave me some connections for an RN job but JB asked me to please stay here.

But, you can comit for just 90 days and play it by ear, still make a contribution if that is what you feel the calling for. Me, I really feel frustrated sitting here in Hawaii by the phone. Sometimes your calling is not your calling, lol.

Hrmmmm... Definitely something to consider. Thank you.

There is a job running the USO in Kandahar, the lady said "well, you know we pretty much just drop you off"...that must be a trip to be there and not be with the military.

Yeah... THAT would be bizarre... I wouldn't be able to do it as a civilian. Being there, the "pull" would be too strong. I'd have to be there as a soldier.

that is benevolent of you.

Well... What can I say? It's certainly not anything I would wish on anyone else... There are plenty of things that annoy me about society, but the best I can do is to be responsible for myself and the people who depend on me, right now. And really, that's plenty to keep me busy without trying to change the world.

pssst! I think we're getting off-topic...

lamont:
you mean like how almost nobody gets my jokes that combine quantum field theory, keynesian economics, FreeBSD, psychedelics and anarcho-syndicalism?

exactly...that must be a curse too.

hey...I try to understand it. At least I know it would be nice if I could.:wink:

Lamont...you need to get into the CIA ASAP....assuming you want to protect us, of course. They would gobble you up. Surely you must have thought about it.

I did read the Tao of Physics and the Holographic Universe....I didn't say I understood it all, but I got the drift.

I was really glad to see your reading list, and here I thought you just read Mother Jones all day.

you could pass yourself off as an eccentric math genius scuba diver just enjoying the Red Sea.

It would be a kick to cross paths over there somewhere.

lamont:
anarcho-syndicalism?

it's the anarcho-syndicalism that confuses them

lamont:
is it possible to both support whatever decision they make, and to discourage the idea?

(and maybe this post of mine in the thread won't get cleaned out due to being offtopic...)

sure ... discourage until they make the decision, support afterwards

catherine96821:
exactly...that must be a curse too.

hey...I try to understand it. At least I know it would be nice if I could.:wink:

Lamont...you need to get into the CIA ASAP....assuming you want to protect us, of course. They would gobble you up. Surely you must have thought about it.

I did read the Tao of Physics and the Holographic Universe....I didn't say I understood it all, but I got the drift.

I was really glad to see your reading list, and here I thought you just read Mother Jones all day.

Catherine: A bit weird to hear the talk from people who have not and never will be in harms way themselves. They will go on and on, and talk and postulate etc. and they really, in the end, have no clue.

Some walk the walk-your JB- most just talk-on and on.

If they really want to serve all they have to do is enlist.

catherine96821:
There is a job running the USO in Kandahar, the lady said "well, you know we pretty much just drop you off"...that must be a trip to be there and not be with the military.
I was in Vietnam "not with the military" and that was a trip. The main lesson of that time was that we ALL work for the CIA, it's just a question of when (and if) you find that out. I was originally supposed to be teaching villagers to grow fish and prawns in small ponds (a nice euphemism for bomb craters) and the next thing I knew I was working for the Rural Pacification Program.

Thalassamania:
I was in Vietnam "not with the military" and that was a trip. The main lesson of that time was that we ALL work for the CIA, it's just a question of when (and if) you find that out. I was originally supposed to be teaching villagers to grow fish and prawns in small ponds (a nice euphemism for bomb craters) and the next thing I knew I was working for the Rural Pacification Program.

Thal: as part of my "tour" I worked with CIA folks in Que-Son province. I must say we did not get along. The Phoenix types, hard corp killers, did not like my approach to "the problem" In the end, they were relieved from my FSB. Later, i was told : "Those guys are CIA, you have to watch your a... " At the time I did not care.

This is a SCUBA board. Let's talk about Cayman or Cozumel. :wink:

mdb:
Thal: as part of my "tour" I worked with CIA folks in Que-Son province. I must say we did not get along. The Phoenix types, hard corp killers, did not like my approach to "the problem" In the end, they were relieved from the my FSB. Later, a Marine General told me: "Those guys are CIA, you have to watch your a... " At the time I did not care. I have many more " war stories" along the same line. This is a SCUBA board. No Need to continue. Let's talk about Cayman or Cozumel. :wink:
Right-O. "Phoenix," there's a term I'd not thought of in this context for a long, long (not long enough) time.

But the diving was great in Vung Tau.:wink:

Thalassamania:
Right-O. "Phoenix," there's a term I'd not thought of in this context for a long, long (not long enough) time.

But the diving was great in Vung Tau.:wink:

I'm glad to hear that you actually got to dive. I do want to dive in the South China sea. We had our "Stack Arms" at China beach. It was only three days. I have always wanted to go back and get in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom