Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza:
As for politics, military personel have no business with politics. If you are a soldier you are paid to do what you are told, not worry about politics. If you set soldiers up to fight for a "belief", and after time they lose their faith in that "belief", then it just makes going to work everyday a hell of a lot harder.

if the military tries to be completely blind to politics, though, doesn't that handicap it in its advisory role to the civilian leadership, which is inherently a political role?

Blitz:
I thought that was just me? :)
Nope. I have been a civilian for 7 years now and I still struggle with it. If they hadnt of kicked me out I would still be there, doing my 15th year. I was 17 when I joined

lamont:
if the military tries to be completely blind to politics, though, doesn't that handicap it in its advisory role to the civilian leadership, which is inherently a political role?
Its advisory role should be about military operations, and perhaps foreign poliyics, but not local politics.
Politics shouldnt even enter into it but unfortunately it does. Many high ranking staff officers are licking the butts of those in politics so that they may get a huge paying job when they finally leave the services...well...thats what I have been led to believe so it may or may not be true.

I remember as a young squaddie asking my corporal who the hell I should vote for on election night. He shrugged and said to ask the boss. He said "Son, dont get involved in Politics, those b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s will corrupt ya mind faster than than the B Block hooker"

some days that silence goes on for so long its heartbreaking

yea, it is starting to really get to me.
I'm a wreck this week, for some reason.

My post was deleted and definately not off topic, nor was it political in any way.

I just said that if my son or daughter said he or she wanted to enlist, I would faint dead away and when I recovered, I would ask them what dimension I had been transported to.

In all honesty, it would be up to them. I would neither encourage nor discourage this decision. I would hope that they would think out all of the pro's and con's and then make an informed and intelligent decision. I would be proud of them either way.

catherine96821:
...you could always join Andy's band.

we have very strict admittance standards

being able to carry a tune is not one of them ... i'm jus saying

Fish_Whisperer:
I guess it can. Most of the time, I'm just glad that other people don't know and haven't been there. And really, most of the time, I don't think much about it or talk about it. It disturbs me when soldiers are depicted by Hollywood as mindless drones, stupid automotons, or when people like John Kerry imply that soldiers are dumb and uneducated. That actually bugs me more than a lot of the more blatant stuff that goes on.

You mean dumbs aren't Infantrymen?

lamont:

The Civial Affairs and Foreign Internal Defense people try really hard just to create an infastructure that the country can use. It is nearly impossible to stay politics neutral, but they do as well as can be expected. Psy Ops are the ones that are good at being political. :light:

They are some twisted little monkeys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom