Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well since this thread has been heavily moderated/truncated I will join many others on saying: It depends upon the war if I would advise my sons to join. My country right or wrong does not work for me. I love my country, I have fought for it. It does not mean I have to believe some politician who has never seen combat themselves.

I am a USMC Vietnam Veteran. I volunteered. I am proud of my service.

This current war is being fought by great brave young citizens in "our" name.

Over the last several days we have sent 4,000 troops into peoples homes searching for three of our own. They have ransacked many houses, detained lots of folks, who are, in many cases, innocent of any crime. If someone kicked down your door in the middle of the night, tore apart your house, terrorized your wife and children, would you be on "their" side?

I honor the service of those on active duty. I travel quite a lot. Every time I see a man or woman in uniform, if it is not an intrusion, I thank them for their service. I had the great honor to do this several times over the Easter holiday and met some great young US citizens, one wounded. I carried his bag to his departure gate while we talked. He was heading home to Iowa. God bless him.

I have two sons. We have had recruiters in our house. I advised both lads to finish their education and then decide for themselves. It is up to them. If they decide to join any branch of the armed service we will be proud of them and support them.

catherine96821:
It is very sweet and endearing.

I know people think I am nuts, but I am getting daily accounts for awhile now and those are not squaring with what I hear on the news to some degree.
THis is my experience from returning troops, those I know, the Wonderful One I'm married to, and the ones I come in contact with thru volunteering at the Red Cross Office and the ones I live next to, and since we live on base as the moment, I'm pretty exposed. Funny how the Broadcast news puts a slight twist to it........and I have to ask myself why, what is the ultimate goal that is the difference in what I hear from friends, and what I hear on most news reports?
Anyways, back to the OP......Our children can serve if they want, and probably will if my son or daughter makes the Academy, and we would be Proud.

I realize this was propably meant for an american audience but...

Things are slightly different here because we have decided (as a nation) to not wage offensive war. Maybe because we´ve engaged in so many in the past. Military service here means that you´ll only be expected to serve in the defence of our country. That means serving IN or around Sweden, not half-way across the world. That kind of service is something I strongly encourage.

We do have servicemen in Afghanistan and other "hotspots" but those missions are volounteered for and recruited on a case by case basis. I would encourage or discourage it on a case by case basis as well but my basic (and selfish) POV is that I will die for my country but not for someone elses...

sounds pretty reasonable.

see? nobody can even argue with you.

JB asked one of his Iraqi interpretors about his plans in Iraq after the war and he laughed and said "Are you crazy? I'm not staying here, I am moving to Sweden, getting a Swedish girl and becoming an architect."

Being an interpretor pays a lot of money, relatively, but is very dangerous and so all the interpretors usually have some big dreams.

This is a hard one for a parent. I went through this a few years before we got involved in the sand box again. My daughter wanted to go into the Army and we talked about it. I had wanted her to go into the Air Force but the Army offered her a full ride at the University of Portland. She has done one deployment to the sand box and is on her 2nd to another hot spot, just not as bad. When she is deployed I no longer watch the news. I won't get into it why. I am proud to of served and for sure I am damn proud of my daughter. She is a Captain now and is short. I would support any of my children if they decided to enlist.

Charles

My daughter joined the National Guard at 18 and is serving now. I was in the Marine Corps 1970-1974 and don't regret a minute of it. I believe the service let's you see yourself in a different way and helps you to push yourself a little harder and face challenges in life. I now no how my mother felt after I enlisted during Vietnam and I pray that my daughter doesn't have to go overseas but proud that she will if called on.

I haven't even tried to read all of responses in this thread. I'm sure lots of good arguements have been made on both sides.

However, as someone who has been serving in the Army for thelast 15 years, and about to re-enlist for the rest of my life, I would discourage my kids from joining. I love the military and what it has done for me. But I also see how things have changed. I don't want my kids going into a war with both thier arms tied behind thier backs by lawyers. The military has one job. To kill and destroy. When generals and politicians are consulting lawyers for how we should be conducting a war, it's only good for the enemy.

I made the decision to join a long time ago, in a different world. I only stay in now to keep alive some of these babies they keep sending me, and for the hope of a retirement if I survive the next few years.

FD

fire_diver:
I haven't even tried to read all of responses in this thread. I'm sure lots of good arguements have been made on both sides.

However, as someone who has been serving in the Army for thelast 15 years, and about to re-enlist for the rest of my life, I would discourage my kids from joining. I love the military and what it has done for me. But I also see how things have changed. I don't want my kids going into a war with both thier arms tied behind thier backs by lawyers. The military has one job. To kill and destroy. When generals and politicians are consulting lawyers for how we should be conducting a war, it's only good for the enemy.

I made the decision to join a long time ago, in a different world. I only stay in now to keep alive some of these babies they keep sending me, and for the hope of a retirement if I survive the next few years.

FD

FD: All the best to you. Your experience and dedication will, no doubt, keep some of those young ones they keep sending you alive.

The night before I joined a Marine Infantry company in Vietnam the Bn. CO told me: "Lt. it is time to put your illusions aside. We will not win this war. The American people do not have the patience for a civil war that could go on for generations. Your job here is not to win a silver star. Your job is to help keep these young Marines alive. I will be watching you, and frequently with you in the field. I will see you again before long. Do you have any questions?" It was a good "heads up" for what was about to come.

is it possible to both support whatever decision they make, and to discourage the idea?

(and maybe this post of mine in the thread won't get cleaned out due to being offtopic...)

Back
Top Bottom