Would You Go To Bay Islands, Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TraineeDiver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am new here and this is my first post.

Some time ago I booked to go to Utila, Honduras to do my Open Water certification and maybe even stay longer to do my Advanced and beyond.

I have been watching the political situation closely and wasnt really worried til yesterday - ex Honduras (ousted) Prez is threatening an invasion with foreign army to take country by force. This could have a disatrous affect on banks and airlines and other things such as fuel and supplies.

I am negotiating a full refund from the airline and have pretty much decided to cancel and go elsewhere.

What would you do?

TD
PS I live in California: any advice you can offer re easily accessible and cost effective dive destinations to do my initial and maybe more advanced training? I have a moderate budget and all the time in the world. (semi-retired with moderate monthly income). I would have to live and train on a budget of about $2400 per month with no wiggle room for extras.

I am tempted by Thailand where I am told I could live very well on this amount - and dive once or twice a week too - any opinions or thoughts?

Last edited:
I would go, but's that's just me.........but on the other hand......., glad we sold our place there last fall-----just in case, lol-----

(You should be just fine.....)

Hi There,

You'll find lots of postings here on this. Pretty much all of them say the tensions are in and around the capital on the mainland.

Roatan is quite removed from all of this, and Utilla is even more removed.

The area is wonderful for diving - you'll love it and hate it all at the same time, because it is so beautiful it'll spoil you when you dive lesser areas later.

If it were me, I'd go and not worry at all - you might be safer there than in many parts of S. CA..... :wink:

I am negotiating a full refund from the airline and have pretty much decided to cancel and go elsewhere.

So you've already decided then, contrary to the thread title.

I don't know where else to send you on that budget.

I'd rather respondents didn't put words in my mouth and stick to the question. I said I am negotiating with airline and may have decided not to go and my QUESTION was:

"What Would You Do"?

Last edited:
ALSO Why were my three posts merged when different people will go to diffferent South America forums for different reasons?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Most people use the New Posts functionality, basically making the same discussion show up multiple times.

Also, it's difficult to keep track of an discussion when it's split in three places. This forum (Bay Islands) is the most relevant for your topic.

note: ----TraineeDiver's colorful post somehow got removed by a MOD----

"Would you go to Utila, Honduras Right Now?" "What would you do?" I'd rather respondents didn't put words in my mouth and stick to the question.

No, If I were you, I wouldn't go. Or was that the question that you weren't asking?

You mention "a budget" of $2400 per month, but not terribly definite on what particular classes might be added into that budget over time.

Most people have a set dollar amount for a specific time. Very rarely do we see a post asking what one might do to limit your spending to a cost per month- open ended in terms of number of months in total.

Depends on the amount of diving that you want to do, really- that's the big expense item in your budget- that and the training.

I don't think there is a clear answer to what you have now pointed out as your real question. It's just too ill-defined.

Last edited:

So sorry that we got off on the wrong flipper.

I just didn't understand what you were trying to do, I guess.

After you get certified, if you dove one dive a day, it would leave $52 a day for all other expenses. If you dove twice a day, you could probably get a deal and it would be about $32 per day for housing and food. (This computation excludes to costs associated with training which would be comparatively huge)

Maybe out of Belize City?

Last edited:

So Belize City is a no-go, then?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom