Would you recommend Cozumel to two young adults?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do think the restaurants are better in PDC than Cozumel

Really!!! :D We LOVE Coz restaurants but now you may force us to go over and try some out. Suggestions?? Jean in MO

Go Coz!!

If the little bro wants to have fun, then I would consider splitting your vacation. Fly into Cozumel (or do the bus and ferry trip from Cancun), spend a few days on the island to just dive and relax (rent a car one day to visit the nice beaches on the South and Esta coast, eat out in great little typical restaurants in town, meet other divers&#8230:wink:, then go spend a couple of nights either in Playa del Carmen or Isla Mujeres.
Playa is closer (just a 45 minute ferry ride), Isla Mujeres is a smal island off Cancun (you can be there in less than 3 hours from Cozumel). It has quite a fun party scene and sees lots of backpackers as it boasts one of the coolest youth hostels in the area (Poc Na, near an awesome beach). Lots of girls in their 20s at the hostel, and you don't have to stay there to meet them as there's a bar open to all (and good live music on week-ends). I'm pretty sure your brother would love it.
Playa del Carmen has a great party scene also (from what I heard), but it's much bigger, so might be harder to meet people if you're only there a couple of nights.
It's easy to get to the Cancun airport from both places. There's a direct bus from Playa, or a 15 min boat ride and taxi (USD50 to USD100, depending on how well you negociate) from Isla Mujeres.
Everytime I go to Cozumel, I spend at least a month there, then go to Isla for the last night as I have friends living there and always fly out of Cancun. Lots of fun.

If that option appeals to you, book a flight that lands before 6 pm in Cancun (so you don't get stranded in Playa del Carmen because you missed the last ferry due to waiting in immigration) and a return flight that leaves Cancun after 10 am.

I just came back from little bro's birthday dinner and I had a chance to discuss this extensively with him, pointing out the suggestions you guys made. driftin's sixth sense was correct in that my brother preferred the description of what PDC had to offer over Cozumel. I was a little surprised, but he said "I'd be fine with two or three days of diving and the rest spent sightseeing or beaching comfortably to relax." I was hoping to do at least four or five days, but nothing can stop me from hiring my own private DM and leaving little bro at the hotel for an afternoon!

I was going to visit Chichen Itza no matter where I was going to stay if it was in Mexico. Three years ago I dropped out of medschool and wasn't sure what to do next, so I took classes that personally interested me regardless of career choices, and did a full year of anthropology and history classes with an emphasis on Mesoamerican culture and history. I developed a near obsession with the Maya and know a great deal about them. In fact, I still refer to my textbooks from time to time. Such an interesting and advanced ancient civilization. It's also a shame that Hollywood distorted their legacy and made up that ridiculous 2012 story -- not a single anthropologist or educated scholar in the area has ever agreed about that interpretation, and there are no codex that corroborate that story either (not that it is significant, since we only recovered four out of thousands). The silver lining is that the "prophecy" got people interested in them, so at least there's that :D

So, back to PDC. There are major advantages:

1. Landing in Cancun means we can take a direct flight from Montreal, or connect through Toronto... most flights to Coz had TWO transfers both in the states (or it was 1000$ more). Westjet has a direct flight to Cancun from Montreal for C$471.94 all taxes in per person (2 ways), which is cheaper than the cheapest fare I could find for Coz with two tranfers (531$).
2. My brother prefers a more active nightlife and white sand beaches
3. The diving for first timers should still impress us according to the reviews I've read
4. Easier access to sightseeing

I believe that being 25, renting a car will be possible and easy. Do you recommend it? I'm a little bummed because I spent days researching Coz and I'm starting from scratch for PDC, but it's not like it's hard labor, is it? :wink: If we are going to PDC, I would much rather spend our 7 days there taking full advantage of what PDC and its areas has to offer, and we'll simply come back the next year and go to Cozumel then as more experienced divers (my uncle warned us that it's a very addictive sport and hobby... which I am totally fine with :)).

Any hotel recommendations for PDC? The El Taj Oceanfront looks nice!

PS. I'm sorry if I offended some of you by first asking advice and suggestions about Coz than switching to PDC, but I really appreciate the insight you are giving me!

Well, that's what research is all about, right? Evaluating needs and assessing options. Most people here won't have a lot of advice about hotels, dive ops etc in Playa del Carmen. You'll have a gas visiting the ruins on the mainland. You need to move to the general Mexico formum. Maybe some day you'll be back to Coz.

Nah. I just follow my nose, so to speak. Look to see hos things look, who is eating there, the menu and prices.

Really!!! :D We LOVE Coz restaurants but now you may force us to go over and try some out. Suggestions?? Jean in MO

I just came back from little bro's birthday dinner and I had a chance to discuss this extensively with him, pointing out the suggestions you guys made. driftin's sixth sense was correct in that my brother preferred the description of what PDC had to offer over Cozumel. I was a little surprised, but he said "I'd be fine with two or three days of diving and the rest spent sightseeing or beaching comfortably to relax." I was hoping to do at least four or five days, but nothing can stop me from hiring my own private DM and leaving little bro at the hotel for an afternoon!
By then, the private DM idea is less important. Morning dive trips with 2 dives are more the norm, still giving you afternoons for beach & beers, etc. - but your dive Op can help you buddy up with another diver on a trip. Some of those experiences might make you wish you had hired a DM, but then you will probably meet and dive with some cool folks. PDC doesn't have the drift diving like Coz, less challenging in some ways, except you have to fin some more - no biggie. Still try to do a day trip to Coz after a few days diving PDC, if not an overnight trip.

I was going to visit Chichen Itza no matter where I was going to stay if it was in Mexico. Three years ago I dropped out of medschool and wasn't sure what to do next, so I took classes that personally interested me regardless of career choices, and did a full year of anthropology and history classes with an emphasis on Mesoamerican culture and history. I developed a near obsession with the Maya and know a great deal about them. In fact, I still refer to my textbooks from time to time. Such an interesting and advanced ancient civilization. It's also a shame that Hollywood distorted their legacy and made up that ridiculous 2012 story -- not a single anthropologist or educated scholar in the area has ever agreed about that interpretation, and there are no codex that corroborate that story either (not that it is significant, since we only recovered four out of thousands). The silver lining is that the "prophecy" got people interested in them, so at least there's that :D
Chichen Itza is great and you can get there early to enjoy it before the tour buses arrive with their hordes - then a short drive takes you to Ek Balam ruins north of Valladoldid, which is an oft overlooked but can't miss site really. You can get to that area by way of Cancun and the freeway west from there, or the scenic route thru Tulum, Coba, etc.

Here is a high definition, zoomable map of the area: http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png

Basic info on the various ruins sites: Mayan Ruins Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula Mayan Ruins, Mexico

Some really great maps/tour guides for various selections in the area: cancunmap.com-Your information source including the scattered gasoline station locations as they are not as common as in the US anyway.

And a cheaper car rental company that offers a nice insurance package, essential in Mexico: Easy Way Cancun Car Rental: your Cancun Airport Rental Car

You might want to spend one day at Chichen Itza & Ek Balam, and another at Coba & Tulum. If so, do Coba as early in the morning as possible as it's hot even in the winter I think; you can rent a bike there as those ruins are spread out. Do carry a backpack and 2 quarts of water and a can of insect repellent at all ruins. You might need to shop for the bug spray now?

So, back to PDC. There are major advantages:

1. Landing in Cancun means we can take a direct flight from Montreal, or connect through Toronto... most flights to Coz had TWO transfers both in the states (or it was 1000$ more). Westjet has a direct flight to Cancun from Montreal for C$471.94 all taxes in per person (2 ways), which is cheaper than the cheapest fare I could find for Coz with two tranfers (531$).
2. My brother prefers a more active nightlife and white sand beaches
3. The diving for first timers should still impress us according to the reviews I've read
4. Easier access to sightseeing
Yep, so you want to start a new thread on the Mexico forum. Many of us Coz fans know some about the mainland, but those who visit it more will be more likely to help you there. See Mexico

I believe that being 25, renting a car will be possible and easy. Do you recommend it? I'm a little bummed because I spent days researching Coz and I'm starting from scratch for PDC, but it's not like it's hard labor, is it? :wink: If we are going to PDC, I would much rather spend our 7 days there taking full advantage of what PDC and its areas has to offer, and we'll simply come back the next year and go to Cozumel then as more experienced divers (my uncle warned us that it's a very addictive sport and hobby... which I am totally fine with :)).
Like I said, try to do a day on Coz if not an overnight. Be sure to get full insurance on the car, good maps and a compass, carry a gallon of water each when you drive in the jungle - gallon jugs or several liter jugs from a grocery, etc.

Any hotel recommendations for PDC? The El Taj Oceanfront looks nice!

PS. I'm sorry if I offended some of you by first asking advice and suggestions about Coz than switching to PDC, but I really appreciate the insight you are giving me!
No problem, but I don't know the hotels over there. Ask on the Mexico forum, and check Kayak.com

Will do, thanks Walter :wink:

Car rental is really cheap! 293.04$ for a week with full insurance, unlimited mileage? The hotel pick-up service offered by most hotels around is 150$ for the round trip. Driving early to Chichen Itza to get the good morning light for photography would be great! That'd be some kickass topside photography if I'm not going to do any underwater art. :D

The El Taj Oceanfront has a promotion right now and we could get a 2 bedroom condo with the direct flight for about 1100$ each. It includes breakfast. One bedroom unit would be 100$ less, so considering the little extra, each getting our room is worth it.

Just need to look for dives now, so Ill go to the Mexico forum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom