Would you share your PDC data?

Would you share your PDC data?

• Yes

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think no. Same reason as already mentioned. In this day and age big brother IS watching. Don't know why he would be interested in me but ya never know.

If there was an option in your dive log software which would enable you to anonymously download your profiles to a central database, would you?

The purpose of the database would be to compile data and provide general statistics.

If your answer is no, would you mind stating why not?

This is built into V-Planner. Not the data from your dive computer but from your planned and actual dives that you enter in there.

Ah, Big Brother... He's reading this thread right now. You realize that, right?

ehm.... What exactly might they do with the data, IF they could link it to you?

I think no. Same reason as already mentioned. In this day and age big brother IS watching. Don't know why he would be interested in me but ya never know.

This is built into V-Planner. Not the data from your dive computer but from your planned and actual dives that you enter in there.

Cool, where does the data go and how is it presented?

Good start, but the data collected is not going to be demographically diverse as would collecting it from all software based logs.

EDIT: okay, I'm seeing the details on the VPlanner site. Good stuff, but it only represents a very small group.

Ah, Big Brother... He's reading this thread right now. You realize that, right?

ehm.... What exactly might they do with the data, IF they could link it to you?

When applying for a life insurance policy once, they asked for a blood sample for testing. I refused to do that. Didn't get the policy but at least I know why.:D

IF they did link it to me, it is difficult to say what they would use it for. However, if they don't have the info, they can't do anything with it! And since Big Brother is reading this thread, he now knows he isn't going to get it either.:D

Call me skeptical but I would bet that I would be receiving email offers to come and visit dive resorts and buy from dive stores within 6 weeks. Anonymous, no such thing.

It would consume a bit of bandwidth each time you uploaded, but there would be no noticeable impact on computer performance. This is not bloat. It could be used or not at the user's discretion. Considering the size of typical help files, the function wouldn't amount to squat.

If it takes space on my harddrive to store the appelet, uses bandwidth to transmit the data and uses my CPU then it it bloatware! Now multiply that by the number of users then by the number of other programs that want to do similar datamining. It's garbage and I don't want it!

Back
Top Bottom