Would you share your PDC data?

Would you share your PDC data?

• Yes

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to participate in DAN's program but they can't accept data from my Oceanic computer.
They can and have in the past but now they want it automatic and in a specific form that makes it easier for them. DAN sold this idea to some manufacturers as a feature to sell and it hasn't had that effect so they haven't been able to market it to all manufacturers, thank goodness!

Thanks goodness? Why is that? If you don't have to participate, why would collecting real world data that would help to identify trends, safety issues and overall stats be a problem?

Seriously, I'd like to understand this point of view.

DAN sold this idea to some manufacturers as a feature to sell and it hasn't had that effect so they haven't been able to market it to all manufacturers, thank goodness!

You mentioned no motive or point of view taken by the collectors of this data. You said "compile data and provide general statistics"....Come on, nothing is so innocent. Data can and will be interpreted in many ways, also manipulated by filtering. focusing and selecting any subsets the researcher wants to use to make some point, and someone will make a point of something they find in the data and then it begins. Global warming is just such a controversy but let's not go there. Since you're looking for the "why not" instead of the "why" I would have to say that diving is a freedom I have that could be controlled in some way based on data collected from divers; e.g. my ascent rates, estimated blood gasses, depths and time there, pressure readings on surfacing, time in safety stops all could be used to justify some restriction or rule that inhibits that freedom. Or, could be used to get my ticket pulled. If someone determined that you actually could get a diver's data, that could justify creation of a law that says we'd have to provide it to some "authority". I don't want to download my driving data to the Police every day, why would I want to do the same with my diving data if it's used to control me in some way. Airline pilots do have their flight data and conversations (when they're awake) recorded and for good reason but I don't want that kind of scrutiny when I'm in the water for my recreation. That's the why not. This data certainly could be used for beneficial purposes as well but I agree with the other "Big Brother" sceptics here - stay out of my business!

Last edited:
I would not provide the data. Simply put, there's nothing in it for me. Do I get a free computer? Free Ginzu knives?

There is nothing good to come of providing any information to anybody on any subject at any time.

My current paranoid rage revolves around the new statewide Prescription Drug Database that the State Of California is about to release. Everybody in the world will see what meds I take because every database in the world has been hacked. Or it soon will be...

California To Provide Online Prescription Drug Database - California Healthline
Virginia's Prescription Monitoring Database Hacked

There are a number of medical conditions that might be considered 'sensitive' to the patient. Well, that goes right out the window! Everybody will know exactly what everybody else has.

You don't think your IP address will be posted with the data? IP addresses just don't change all that often.

So, no, I don't think I will participate. But now that you mention it, I better check to see that the DiveRite software doesn't already include this 'feature'.

Richard

Thanks goodness? Why is that? If you don't have to participate, why would collecting real world data that would help to identify trends, safety issues and overall stats be a problem?

Seriously, I'd like to understand this point of view.

I think I've made my point quite clear. It's junk software that will take up space on each users harddrive whether it is used or not. If used it will use internet resources that could be better used elsewhere. If everybody used software that transmitted data automatically it would cut into my available transfer rates since I use a cable connection and the resources are shared in a given area. It has the potential to invade privacy as others have stated.
The need for this type of software on autopilot has not been demonstrated!
If DAN needs the data they have in the past and could continue to recieve the data in a simple email. There simply isn't so many different file types generated by all the different PDC that DAN couldn't decode the data if they truly need it to make a impact on dive safety.
Thank goodness some people are becoming aware of these facts and opt to not even install software that has these junk additions. How many programs do you need on your computer that will send email? Why add a special one for DAN? Sure harddrive space is cheap but every time you turn around these days software packages take up more room and you need to get a bigger drive. I don't need my PDC's logging software to do anything not associated with logging my dives for me.

I think I've made my point quite clear. It's junk software that will take up space on each users harddrive whether it is used or not. If used it will use internet resources that could be better used elsewhere.

If every diver on the planet transmitted their data at the exact same time every day, I don't see how any impact on the Internet would be noticed by anyone...

No I'm suspious of any central information scheme from anywhere. FishOutUvH2O stated my thoughts well in post 10. May I ask why this a good idea?

No I'm suspious of any central information scheme from anywhere. FishOutUvH2O stated my thoughts well in post 10. May I ask why this a good idea?

What are your concerns with providing this info as it was described?

Ah, Big Brother... He's reading this thread right now. You realize that, right?

ehm.... What exactly might they do with the data, IF they could link it to you?

Who knows? New laws? Regulations? Goverment certs? The list is endless.

Who knows? New laws? Regulations? Goverment certs? The list is endless.
Odds are that you have provided more info in your SB profile about yourself and your diving than the OP's idea could ever gather...

Back
Top Bottom