Would you share your PDC data?

Would you share your PDC data?

• Yes

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a point about insurance companies possibly using the data (if said data points to bad practices by many divers) to be used against you, if they find out your a diver ... maybe your info if they find a way to trace it back to you, or maybe just the general info contained in the database

Automatic downloads, no, but that said .. I'm thinking that giving DAN more info on how we dive is going to help me more than hurt me

i would, but i don't see that it would be helpful without extra info that wouldn't be automatic. i could potentially have the world's most perfect profile & get bent, but without some input from me on the upload of that profile, how would that important bit of info get passed along? conversely, i could have several hundred sawtooth profiles due to cave configurations and not get bent. without knowing at least some basics about every dive that a computer can't deduce, i'd have to know how the data would be helpful to decide to participate.

'this is what hundreds of divers have done but we don't know if they got bent or not or what their gasses were or if they are educated to pull off this planned deco dive' - not good enough for me.

What I find most hysterical is people who participate in an Internet message board being concerned about data that can be electronically gathered about them... :D

It's not being paranoid if they really are out to get ya:D

Why exactly is a person being dragged into court and having to defend themselves for having a diving accident? I don't follow the news any longer. Is DCS now illegal?

Let's say you and your buddy are diving and the outcome isn't favorable for your buddy. Of course the survivors want to know everything about that dive including your PDC info. But they will also want to know about every other dive you have ever made and they will reframe the data to show that you have been reckless in the past (ascent rates for example) and that there is reason to believe you were reckless on the dive in question. Somehow, you were the proximate cause of the unfavorable outcome.

There is no good reason to help provide information to your own detriment. In fact, it would be a very nice feature if you could erase the data in your PDC. As it is, the thing probably holds the last 50 dives or so. You might want to reconsider downloading dives to your PC for archiving.

Richard

The NOAA O2 Exposure Limit Table tells me I have a max. per dive exposure of 45 minutes at ppO2 1.6 before there's a serious risk of O2 Toxicity- I choose to err on the side of caution and go no higher than a ppO2 of 1.5 (my dives wouldn't put me close to the 120 minutes at that level).

The PADI RDP tells me I have 10 minutes at 130 ft before going into decompression dive territory and not being able to make a direct ascent without serious risk of DCS- I choose to err on the side of caution and spend no more than 7 minutes.

Someone gives me a choice on whether or not I give up personal data to someone I don't know and who's intentions are unclear- I choose to err on the side of caution and not give up that data.

Most would say the first two are prudent measures that make me a safer diver. Yet, that same prudence applied to the third one makes me a "delusional, screaming paranoid, who has over-inflated their own self-worth." :idk:

Let's say you and your buddy are diving and the outcome isn't favorable for your buddy. Of course the survivors want to know everything about that dive including your PDC info. But they will also want to know about every other dive you have ever made and they will reframe the data to show that you have been reckless in the past (ascent rates for example) and that there is reason to believe you were reckless on the dive in question. Somehow, you were the proximate cause of the unfavorable outcome.

There is no good reason to help provide information to your own detriment. In fact, it would be a very nice feature if you could erase the data in your PDC. As it is, the thing probably holds the last 50 dives or so. You might want to reconsider downloading dives to your PC for archiving.

Richard

I don't surface OOA, I don't do unsafe ascents, I don't dive to depths beyond the limits of my training, gear, or breathing gas, and I don't blow NDL's. I do safety stops even when they aren't officially called for. I always maintain safe SI's. What could a person possibly use against me by reviewing my dive computer? It seems to me that what you are really saying is careless and unsafe divers, basically those with something to hide regarding their dive profiles, are the divers who should be concerned about this.

Why exactly is a person being dragged into court and having to defend themselves for having a diving accident? I don't follow the news any longer. Is DCS now illegal?

Check with David Swain for an answer to that question. He's on trial now charged with the murder of his wife after her drowning was classified as an accident 10 years ago.

Richard

Exactly right. I'm sure that DAN has good and noble intent - but - others can use that information to suit their own, perhaps, less than noble purposes. We live in a litigous world and I would be careful to not provide anyone anything that strengthen their cause. I don't know how this data is handled or protected and would like to hear from DAN how they address privacy concerns. Again, I'm all for using data for good purposes but I've been around the block enough to know that might not always be the case.

I don't surface OOA, I don't do unsafe ascents, I don't dive to depths beyond the limits of my training, gear, or breathing gas, and I don't blow NDL's. I do safety stops even when they aren't officially called for. I always maintain safe SI's. What could a person possibly use against me by reviewing my dive computer? It seems to me that what you are really saying is careless and unsafe divers, basically those with something to hide regarding their dive profiles, are the divers who should be concerned about this.

We've found perfection!! Darn good for 3 years of diving!:)

It is truly amazing what a team of lawyers can find, take out of context and use against you when trying to prove their point. While someone "informed" about the sport of diving would see as within normal diving guidlines. A team of lawyers with an agenda can take harmless information, twist it to their advantage and crucify you in court. It is not a matter of hiding anything, it is in fact a matter of protecting ones self. I consider myself a safe diver, I dive within PADI guidelines. I just don't think something billed as anonymous is ever anonymous, lawyers with an agenda can take harmless information and turn it against you when it suits them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom