WOW.. How incredibly rude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys -- guess this really labels me as a Newbie... but where do I learn what all those nifty acronyms stand for?

LDS - Local Dive Shop? Or at least that seems to fit..

mlcircle:
LDS - Local Dive Shop? Or at least that seems to fit..
Ya... Local Dive Shop.
I just re-read my last posts and it would look like alphabet soup to someone unfamiliar with some of the gear.
In my message, DC is Diving Concepts, DUI is DUI (also Diving Unlimited International... they're known as DUI), and TLS350 (Tri-Laminate-System) is simply one of the suits in the DUI line.

Hmmm....back to Scuba Pro equip....Up until several years ago, I was still using my Mark 7 regulator with my old Mark I 2nd stage as an octopus. I maintained it well and it operated flawlessly. I was shamed into buying new gear by the weird looks I kept getting.
I wonder how many new regulators would operate so well for over 30 years!! Bad stuff? I don't think so.
BTW, I still have that reg. When my Atomic titanium breaks, I'll dig it out.

Where I live (read in my country) getting scuba pro regs /stages serviced is almost impossible...no-one wants to touch them...of course I´m living in the homeland of Poseidon so maybe that has something to do with it...strange though...atomics, oceanic, aqualung etc all have dealers here...just no SP (that I´ve heard of and I asked around ´cause I was considering buying SP regs cause they were so cheap (used))...

I have a hard time selecting too as one local shop told me that ScubaPro is the best. Another shop told me something else. I'm currently leaning towards Mares, Poseidon, and SeaQuest for the BC and Reg, and Dacor or Tusa for the mask and fins. I hope that you guys will vote on my poll...just so that I know which one could be the Yugo of diving equipment!

RockyTop:
Im glad I have been reading this board otherwise I would have been totally shocked by what just happened.

Im very new to the sport of scuba. I just recently finished the confined water portion of my ow class. i am doing my checkout dives next weekend.

i can already tell that i am going to love this. therfore, i am leaning toward purchasing my gear. i would love to be able to buy locally but simply will not get bent over the counter on pricing.

Anyway, I just called a local shop to inquire about their pricing. I asked the gentleman that answered if they carried scuba pro regulators. I just wanted to get an idea how much higer they would be at the shop. I was really expecting to get a yes we do or sorry, we dont carry scuba pro.

What i got was a no because we dont carry low quality gear. You only find top of the line gear in my store. He proceeded to tell me why scuba pro sucked and why what he carried was the best in the industry. This went on for a couple of minutes at least.

I just simply asked him if he carried scuba pro regulators. At least by reading some of the comments here i was not totally floored by what he was saying. I just let him finish his rant, laughed at him said thanks and goodbye. But geez why would any business act that way.

Needless to say, Im not looking forward to purchasing gear at all. i would rather go haggle with a car salesman than deal with this.

Welcome to the world of politics, you would get the same amount of different opinions if you asked who is better, Bush or Kerry,
btw, most of my gear (98%) is SP

MikeFerrara:
Maybe the guy just hates scubapro like I do. LOL

I'd carve regs out of wood before I used anything from them.

Well, that certainly explains that-----not. Perhaps you would care to enlighten us as to why you would rather not use SP, besides personal preference.

I'll give them that one.

I used my M1 in ~40 degree water this spring, and it was a flawless as if I'd been in the Carribean.

No freeflows. No funkiness. Nothing. Just the air I expected.

Terry

RichLockyer:
That would be Atomic.
He may not be tactful, and may be a bad businessman (and is wrong that Oceanic is better than SP), but he's not wrong about the new Atomic line. The M1 set is one of the best regs available.

I agree, i have a similar "guy " at my LDS, I think they are also biased on the "authorized equipment" that they sell..

Regs are a matter of opinion as is anything, its a personal choice, go with what you like..

Mike

Call Larry at ScubaToys.com. It will be painless, you will get great HONEST advice and save a bunch of $$$. Some will disagree with me and say Support your LDS. Experiences like yours is why i do not agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom