Wreck classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the last few years I've discovered that wrecks are by far my favorite dive, and going in and seeing the machinery of what used to be a functional vessel is amazing. I want to take a formal class covering wreck penetration, but the likes of the PADI Wreck Diver class sound absurd. I don't need a card to look at the outside of a wreck. However I do understand that the level of the PADI course is up to the instructor, and some have found instructors that do the whole penetration with guidelines and such.

So what I'm wondering is, should I do the PADI Wreck course, and try to find an instructor that will cover it all very good, or is there another wreck penetration course that will allow under-18s?

thanks!

teknitroxdiver:
Over the last few years I've discovered that wrecks are by far my favorite dive, and going in and seeing the machinery of what used to be a functional vessel is amazing. I want to take a formal class covering wreck penetration, but the likes of the PADI Wreck Diver class sound absurd. I don't need a card to look at the outside of a wreck. However I do understand that the level of the PADI course is up to the instructor, and some have found instructors that do the whole penetration with guidelines and such.

So what I'm wondering is, should I do the PADI Wreck course, and try to find an instructor that will cover it all very good, or is there another wreck penetration course that will allow under-18s?

thanks!
Why don't you take a look at the ANDI wreck course? I'm not sure what the age considerations are, but I'm sure you'll find the course to have excellent content. Check www.andihq.com.

Find a good instructor - one that teaches reel work and lift bags. Don't worry what agency he/she teaches for. Just make sure the curriculum is what you want. I also recommend doing a private or semi-private course (no more than 2 people). Complete the course. Get some experience. Take an advanced wreck course. The PADI Wreck specialty card doesn't say much. The experience will.

I suspect that the age thing is going to be a significant hurdle for you - by pretty much everyone's measure, penetration is one of the hard lines between recreational and technical diving and in our increasingly risk averse world, the liability issues may burn a hole in any instructors stomach.

That said, the PADI wreck class isn't a bad place to start, if you can find a good instructor. I'd be looking for one that actually dives wrecks and probably has cave training, as well.

Cave classes may be a route for you to consider, too. Though they will skip some critical information about hazards wreck rats encounter, cave divers use most of the same skills set and are functioning in conditions that are parallel to wrecks in many ways.

Dr. K,

I can't speak too much to the age issue other than to say don't let it stop you. I began diving at fifteen and had no problem working into the advanced and instructor ranks before I turned eighteen. Of course, that is anecdotal and you may find your situation different. Just don't let it be a roadblock.

As far as instructors go my reccommendation is to find one that demands excellence and does it in a fair and respectful way. Affiliation doesn't matter as much as finding an instructor with an outstanding reputation and lots of experience both teaching and doing. Your first wreck instructor will have the most opportunity to mold you as a wreck diver. It's in your best interest to make sure he's a good one.

Best,

I don't intend to let it stop me. IMO a card is just a piece of plastic, so even if I don't have 'the card' if I can find an experienced wreck diver to show me the ropes (literally...), that would be fine too.

thanks for the help, guys.

Back
Top Bottom