• OMS

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Dive Rite

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other (What would it be? and Why?)

Votes: 47 65.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Dive Rite. However, if I were buying today, I would go with the Halcyon or Manta reel.

Halcyon's handle and the orientation of the reel make it easier to control the reel.

Manta has a trigger and locking mechanism that allows a diver to easily deploy the line.

I'm not unhappy with the Dive Rite; I just like the others better.

Thanks for the tip on the Manta, Ken. I've been in the market for a wreck reel, and this one looks like the ticket for me. I just ordered the Manta Jr. 250' for a wreck class that I'm taking in October, and I found it interesting that our instructors were offering a "group rate" of $120.00 on the same reel that I ordered from LP for $90.00. They're affiliated with a dive shop, but I was under the impression they were getting the reels straight from Manta. Needless to say, I'm glad I shopped around before jumping in on their "deal"

divernva once said...
I have a reel made by Manta which I like (got it from LP). The spool is plastic, but the body of the reel is aluminum. There are notches on the spool which catch on the reel. Squeeze the handle and the spool is free to allowing line to be reeled in or let out.

I use the Halcyon/EE pathfinder. It feeds out nice and easy and if you are using a canister light, you can run the reel with the same hand.

Eric

I broke my Dive Rite at Ginnie Springs. While in Florida, my neighbors at the Dive Outpost were Mike and Sandy Ferrara, who have a dive shop in Lafayette, Indiana, and they handle Halcyon. I ordered one from them and got it in last week. I cant stop fondeling it. There is simply no comparison in the durability which is apparent in the Halcyon vs. the Dive Rite. The Dive Rite broke at the center of the spool, and was replaced on warranty, but have you ever wound and unwound that amount of line?

Mike, hope you dont mind the plug for your shop.

Dave

divernva once bubbled...
I have a reel made by Manta which I like (got it from LP). The spool is plastic, but the body of the reel is aluminum. There are notches on the spool which catch on the reel. Squeeze the handle and the spool is free to allowing line to be reeled in or let out.

I used the Manta this past weekend during my AOW for a couple of tasks. I preferred it over the other smaller reel we used that had a twist screw that took more than a couple of turns to tighten or loosen.

Recommended. :)

If you lose your $80.00 reel---

Go to Walmart and buy a cheap, large, fly fishing reel. $10.00 should do it. Drill two small holes in the mount, screw on an aluminum handle and fill it with line. You now have a "wreck reel". :doctor:

I just bought a 400' Halycon Reel from Brownies last weekend. The second you pick the reel up you will be impressed with the quality of the reel. It is very nice. The 400'er was $112.

-For the people that are going to start flaming about someone spending $112 on a reel. If you don't want one. Don't Buy it.

I dive a Manta reel. It was suggested by my instructor and I haven't found reason to be unhappy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom