• Destroy the site with crowbars

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Leave it for other divers to see

Votes: 49 65.3%
  • Have protected sites only

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel that artifact recovery is proper provided several requirements are met.

First, the recovered artifacts must be properly conserved and displayed, preferably publically but at least displayed to one's houseguests. I do not feel that artifacts should ever be recovered and just put away in a box somewhere (this goes for museums as well as private collectors).

Second, the wreck must have no protected status. This would, of course, not count if one has a permit for the recovery.

Wreck identification is a proper reason for artifact recovery. Prevention of loss is another (such as a rapidly deteriorating wreck).

I also support commercial salvage. I feel that when one recovers large quantities of valuable artifacts of which examples exist on public view, such as coinage or precious bar stock, the individual(s) who put in the time and expense to recover these items are perfectly within their rights to sell the items.

Tom

Originally posted by AusWiz
And let's get this 'beaut' porthole off, managed afew of those over the years!

But anything to do with War graves, or 'Protected' dive wrecks I stay well away from, there's too many Sea Lawyers out there to tangle with, as Mel Fisher found out when he found all that Spanish Maine Stuff.

Nothing like having the odd cannonball and bridge telegraph adorning the rumpus room to remind you of the thrill of bringing that stuff up to the surface after so many years on the bottom. Just like bringing back all that 'Moonrock' back in the '60's;-)

AusWiz

I am sorry to say but you are a selfish fool........The artifacts should be left for all to enjoy............

Originally posted by AusWiz
And let's get this 'beaut' porthole off, managed afew of those over the years!...

Nothing like having the odd cannonball and bridge telegraph adorning the rumpus room to remind you of the thrill of bringing that stuff up to the surface after so many years on the bottom....

I have to disagree... and take a hammer to it? ARRRG :upset:
If you (or anyone like you) continue to take things off the wrecks what will be left? As Wreckdiver says, if you fail to preserve it properly you won't enjoy either.

Oh sure, as some have said those in the briny sea, are deteriorating faster than our lovely wrecks in the fresh cold water of Ontario, but still, if a private individual takes an artefact from a wreck who else can enjoy it?

Originally posted by DivingGal

. . .
if a private individual takes an artefact from a wreck who else can enjoy it?

If it is left how many can enjoy it? Why should "artifacts (Sea Trash)" be enjoyed only by divers?
If it is historically important then let a museum go get it and put it on display. If museums don't want it, or society deems the expense greater than the worth, then it is sea trash. What is wrong with cleaning it up?
All right I'm over the top on this one, but there is another way to look at this, isn't there?

Originally posted by DivingGal

I have to disagree... and take a hammer to it? ARRRG :upset:
If you (or anyone like you) continue to take things off the wrecks what will be left? As Wreckdiver says, if you fail to preserve it properly you won't enjoy either.

Oh sure, as some have said those in the briny sea, are deteriorating faster than our lovely wrecks in the fresh cold water of Ontario, but still, if a private individual takes an artefact from a wreck who else can enjoy it?

Here Here !!!!! Well said DG.......................So much of our history has been carted away and buried in closets, drawers and the like......out of sight from the rest of the world....:fury: :pity: :angry: :razafraz:

Dafydd

I think it's wrong to see the remains of a wreck as Sea Trash. Unless it's just rubbish that's been dumped overboard e.g. plastic bottles, supermarket trolleys, old bikes, then it should be left. As for why divers should be the only ones to enjoy a wreck, the fact is that anyone can enjoy it, they just have to learn to dive first.

Regards

Guess I'm a selfish "porthole" diver.

Most of the wreck around here are not historically significant or war graves. No underwater achealogist is lining up to study them. In fact, MA lists a bunch of "expempt" wrecks from which you can recover artifacts as long as you don't do any major damage to the wreck. Stuff doesn't last too long in salt water.

I'm working on raising a huge anchor right now (probably from the early 1900s), people around here have anchors all over the place (on their lawns, in front of restarunts, etc). In fact, when scuba first became real popular in the early 1960s, the first thing a lot of New Englanders did was head to wrecks and start pulling off brass.

Finding artifacts has also motivated alot of people to discover wrecks that may well have not been found (and subsequnetly enjoyed by other divers) if this was not the case.

Just my thoughts.

ya i used to take an object from wrecks , but i dont anymore
gave it up and let others see it ! as for what ive aquired ,
sometimes just a old bottle or a dinner plate other times a bell and a porthole made of brass witch wasent attached to the wreck! but not anymore .let someone else see it too :D

Originally posted by MASS-Diver
Finding artifacts has also motivated alot of people to discover wrecks that may well have not been found (and subsequnetly enjoyed by other divers) if this was not the case.

Definately true.

Tom

Originally posted by Butch103
So much of our history has been carted away and buried in closets, drawers and the like......out of sight from the rest of the world....

Granted I don't, nor have ever, worked in any museum or know anyone that has. This is all _pure_ heresay. However I've heard that museums are _notorous_ for, as you put it, burying things in closets out of sight from the rest of the world. I've also heard a lot about museums ending up with donated artifacts, where the salvager just wants them "seen by the rest of the world" and the museums turn around and sell them to private collectors...

Unless it's an artifact from a legendary wreck [e.g. Titanic/Monitor caliber] that will bring vistors and donators from miles around, museums couldn't care less.

Back
Top Bottom