Wreckmania # 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Natasha
I love this "Cultural exchange program" idea. All mothers love educational things, right?
Mmm.. 'Kansas City BBQ here we come'. Bringing .. some sauces is a great idea. Now what do I hear from the North and South Carolinas? You guys make a mean BBQ too. We might need some corn bread too. And from New York ... how about a few Nathan's hot dogs stuffed into your carry on, for old MOM.
Hehehehe We might have to change the name of this trip to Fatmania!

If we do all this (and trust me I won't object)-- who's leading the morning exercise routines? And the afternoon ones, and the evening ones....

Maybe not 'Fatmania' but certainly 'Groanmania'...

I would be happy to bring some western NC BBQ sauce BUT to do it correctly, it takes a hickory wood fire and hours of slow cooking, anything less just will not do. To us, BBQ is an art form not to be hurried and the use of (gag) gas is strickly forbidden. And to go with it is the slaw...a special blend of ingredients that compliments the smokey flavor of the BBQ.....but no slimy mayo, thats what the infidels in the eastern part of the state use. Oh sorry, did not mean to involve you in the NC BBQ wars, the Civil War may be over but the BBQ war rages on here in NC!

Originally posted by herman
I would be happy to bring some western NC BBQ sauce BUT to do it correctly, it takes a hickory wood fire and hours of slow cooking, anything less just will not do. To us, BBQ is an art form not to be hurried and the use of (gag) gas is strickly forbidden. And to go with it is the slaw...a special blend of ingredients that compliments the smokey flavor of the BBQ.....but no slimy mayo, thats what the infidels in the eastern part of the state use. Oh sorry, did not mean to involve you in the NC BBQ wars, the Civil War may be over but the BBQ war rages on here in NC!

YOU Herman, I think I like! A man who take his food seriously... (yet has fun about it I think hehehe)

Let the food fight begin. I haven't had this much fun since high school!)

I am still reading the posts, as even though I won't be with you physically in spirit I am still in. Maybe good for Wreckmania II. I am hoping anyway. Besides I want to see how this all turns out. BBQ wars and all.

Cindy:
I have thought about you also in these last few weeks ... you are the first and only child I have lost. But, knowing you are thinking of Wreckmania II makes me smile again! :wink: I'm glad you're still following the threads.
You can be sure plans for Wreckmania 'Continues', Photomania and Wreckmania II will all be out shortly after Wreckmania I.
Wheww that's a lot of manias! Now where's that Wreckmania fashion catalog .. it's around here somewhere ...

Cindy - You'll always be my roomie at heart! :sun:

Originally posted by seaangel
I am still reading the posts, as even though I won't be with you physically in spirit I am still in. Maybe good for Wreckmania II. I am hoping anyway. Besides I want to see how this all turns out. BBQ wars and all.
PS: Everyone duck - food fight! Hey! Watch where you sling that bbq sauce :mean:

PPS: Sass- where is that trip report? Dying to hear about life in Tahiti :bounce:

I've run the list by my sous-chef (aka my roomie) and Mom (aka Natasha).... I'd like to know the opinions of the wreckmaniacs now:

Cold:
  1. veggie dip (this is a puree of carrot and spices that makes a spread for crackers - can be prepared ahead, and transported)
  2. cheese ball (this is a mixture of cheeses that makes a spread for crackers - can be prepared ahead, and transported)
  3. smoked salmon pate/mousse (can be prepared ahead, and transported)
  4. pasta salad

Hot:
  1. stuffed mushroom
  2. fiddlehead dip (fiddleheads are a type of fern that are picked when they have just come out of the ground, they taste sort of like asparagus.
  3. game saté ( e.g. caribou or buffalo or grouse)
  4. ribs(with maple syrup)

What I thought of doing was a selection from hot and cold, then with the help from my sous-chef it's a manageable deal. If you want it all --- well I definately need more help to cook for a gang of 20.....

So what do you want?

And before you ask, I'm driving down with an cooler and not going on a plane. . .

DivingGal
an aspiring Canadian Chef

Yum-Yum! I have a request.....smoked Salmon. I had a small taste of some thinly sliced on crackers about 3-4 years ago and it was delicious. Down here in the deep south, we're not even sure what a real salmon looks like. The smoked salmon we find in the grocery stores taste like a dead fish that was held over a trash fire for a couple of days!

So if it's not too much trouble....... =-x

Diving Gal,
All the options sound great! Our only request is that not everything chosen has dairy, which by the options so far, sounds like it won't be a problem. Also - don't knock yourself out over this - we'd much rather have you underwater than slaving over a hot grill (or whatever)!

Sunshine,
I'm working on it! I've been swamped at work, and actually just had time to get a start on it during my flight to DC this morning. It was such a fabulous trip, it really will take time!

Happy Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

June can vouch for me here .. I'm not just trying to copy Dee.. I picked the salmon when she gave me the choice last night. Mmm Mmm good.
Cheeses were my 2nd pick.
For the 'hot' choice ..I'd go with the ribs and maple syrup..
I figure this way we can all float during Wreckmania without our BC's!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom