Wrist computer for Tech diving..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay away from the Cochran computer. My unit has had a number of problems and I am very dis satisfied. After spending $1200 or so you have to spend another $300 for software to download your dives OR you are umbilicaled to the store where you bought it. When my Cochran malfuntioned I have had to use my $350 puck computer.

Doug

As a tech diver who only uses my computer in Gauge mode, I've been through a number of computers in the last 5 years or so including the Suunto Vyper, Gecko, D9 series, etc.

For the past four years or so, I've owned several Aladin Tec2G timers and love them, but have heard excellent things about the new Liquivision Xen both from my colleagues and in correspondence with Doug directly. I can't wait until I finally get my hands on one.

my bf had a cochran - i'm not sure which one, but he's posted about this issue so you might be able to find one of his posts.

I've spent the night on the couch for saying this exact thing.

There's plenty of threads about X1 reliability problems. . . . Plenty of people have had to replace their X1's multiple times. Several members on TDS.com have replaced their X1 4, 7, even 11 times, and reference friends who've done the same! . . . Liquivision claims that the pressure sensor issue has been resolved, but they're still getting computers sent back(at least from what I've seen) for screen issues and battery problems. You yourself have had your Liquivision replaced, and sure every company puts out a lemon once in a while. But.....there's many more like you that have had their Liquivision fail. They might have great customer service post sale, but it'd be really cool to not have to send you computer back in the first place. Customer service also includes building a product that doesn't need to be replaced, in my opinion.
I thought it might be useful to update this exchange, particularly for people who are considering a Liquivision product, or the X1 in particular.

I was not fully aware of the extent of the sensor issues at the time tgsmith offered this post. In fact I was a little surprised, since I previously had the experience of a rapid, and appropriate (replaced the unit within days, at no charge) response from Liquivision. But, subsequent to this exchange, my second / replacement X1 failed - again a depth sensor issue (it had me diving to 3667 feet, repeatedly). This time, Liquivision's response was NOT as impressive - in their view, the unit is now out of warranty, and they are willing to replace the unit, but for ~$700, essentially half of what I paid for the new one only 3 years before. Yes, the new one is a dual sensor model, so there is something of an upgrade involved. And, for that I would be willing to pay a modest amount - I am not asking for something for nothing. And, the interchange on resolving the problem is still in process, so a more reasonable outcome may be achieved. But, when I have already invested $1500 in a (not inexpensive) computer, and have had two failures in only 3 years, I expect a little more from the company. This is not a good business model. I had the first computer fail during a dive on the Oriskany to 200+ feet. Fortunately, I had an older, but still functioning and reliable, Nitek He as a back up. I had the second computer fail during a dive at 40 Fathom to 180 feet. Fortunately, I had an older, but still functioning and reliable, Nitek He as a back up. (Hmm, there seems to be a consistent theme here.)

Part of my disappointment, which is now evolving into an admonition for potential Liquivison / X1 customers, is based on the fact that our shop was an 'early adopter' of the X1. A number of staff purchased them shortly after they came out, and then customers purchased them, based in part on our enthusiastic (and sincere) recommendations. For the past 3 years, we have been public advocates of the computer - and, I still think it is one of the best displays I have ever seen, I still believe it is a marvelous technology, I would still prefer it to anything else available (IF IT WERE ONLY RELIABLE), etc., etc. I do not think that it is Liquivision's FAULT that a batch of faulty sensors were purchased and used. Things like that happen. But, I do think it is their RESPONSIBILITY to make the situation right.
Liquivision:
I can appreciate your hesitation. I only ask that you keep an open mind and allow our new products to prove their reliability without too much stigma from the past. We don't shy away from our reliability issues in the past, but we're beyond that and are forward-looking... and I'm very excited for what's coming.
I certainly see the point in Doug's message. But, based on my current experience, I perhaps view the meaning of 'shy away' in a somewhat different light, and would now caution potential buyers to think carefully about a purchase. While the units are wonderful computers, the value proposition in my opinion is now being severely eroded by the possibility of a failure - which exists for any technology - for which the customer is apparently now being asked to pay - which is not a standard.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
This thread may have run its course, but I just wanted to share my experience with dive computers. I have gone through 2 Aladin Tec 2G's, and 1 Aladin 2G(which replaced the Tec 2G). While they are great computers, the buttons fell off, and or the software got corrupted when I changed the batteries. I understand that this is a common problem with the Aladin dive computers, and my cases were not isolated.
I then switched to the Liquivision Xen which is an awesome bottom timer with a great display, avg depth, stop watch as well. Recently, I got the Liquivision Xeo, which is a trimix computer, but I haven't used it much as of yet. However, it also has the same incredible display. Lastly, Liquivision has customer service second to none. So, depending on what your requirements are, I would definitely consider a LV and their product line is well priced. They also have a Lynx which is a trimix dive computer as well.

I am amazed that any tech diver would actually recommend a Suunto computer. They must like having no control over the computer and love lots of deco.

I would recommend a Shearwater predator.
They are amazing computers that can be bought for a reasonable price and upgraded to trimix and/or CCR later if desired.
Check out Shearwater Research - Home
Ditto..Even if it's more than what you want to spend, buying it now will actually save you money over buying something else then buying another later....Besides the Shearwater, can be used for almost all types of diving, has a good reputation and resale value.... Watch the Deco Stop or Cave Diver's Forum, some one may put theirs up for sale...And if the price is good, grab it 'cause they go fast......

I also have a Shearwater, (Predator), I got on recomendation from a mate, and with my failing eyesight it is great, but, I was disappointed to find out it is not realy suited to Rec diving, (no safety stop or count down), and for rec diving it is ultra conservative when trying to do a dive plan. Shearwaters view is that as it is only a recommended stop and not a mandatory stop, they do not want to tell you how to dive, they also said I could just stop at 5 Mt and watch the time. I played with the GF, and found that 30/95 gave me the same dive times as the PADI RDP. But as I do not know enough about what affect this could have I put it back to the default 30/85. I wish there was an upgrade to fully allow Rec diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom