Wrist or Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a wrist mounted computer, and keep a compass on a retractor in my BCD pocket util I need it. I came to this set up after trying different configuations, and this works best for me. All of the options suggested in this thread are great, just try them out, and pick which one you like best.

I still have not worked out how to do an buddy breathing ascent with a console. One hand on the inflator/deflator, one hand controlling the OOA diver... and a third hand checking the depth guage on the console? I can't remember how we did this in OW class.

Anyone who's actually HAD to do this and used a console, I'd love to hear what the methods were.

With wrist mount, you can see the guages while controlling the diver (if that's your preference).

I own two Oceanic Veo 200s. One console and one wrist mount. I find myself using the wrist mouted computer most, as it's just easier to check than lifting up my console.

Wrist.

Consoles are typically on the left side, so to look at your ascent rate, you need to cross the hose over to your right (since you need your left hand to vent air) in order to watch the console computer. Wrist is much more convenient on ascents.

As far as securing the computer, I have an extra loop of bungee attached to the wrist band on my computer. It also goes around my wrist. It's not going anywhere.

If I wanted air integrated, I'd probably go to a console, because I don't trust the wireless. Yet another reason I don't want air integrated. I want to stay with wrist. I look at my computer on my wrist much more often than my console (just an spg).

I have an Aeris Atmos 2 and love it.

Compass is on my left wrist. Get a Suunto SK7. It's the only compass to have.

I was thinking of going wrist, but talking with some instructors decided that I will go with a console instead.
One thing that I am going to do is get the quick release, and have a quick release added to my analog gauges, that way I can be sure that a dead battery won't end my dive.

The biggest reason the instructors said that they use console is because they use a lot of different exposure suits. Apparently they don't like to use wrist mount with a dry suit.

I'm not going to purchase until Late January/Early February so I may still change my mind, but it seems that console is what I'm leaning towards now. Maybe I'll rent a wrist mount and see how I like it.

Instead of just telling you what I use, let me ask you a question:

What kind of diving do you plan on doing? What other equipment will you use? Have you decided on a BCD or is a BP/W an option?

Now I'll tell you what I did: Initially I got my computer in a console but diving with a BP/W I found that it simply didn't work for me. Tossed the console, got a strap for the computer & wrist mounted it. Clipping off the SPG now the way it 'should be'. I find that having my compass on my left wrist, with my computer & back up bottom timer (read: dive watch), works well for me.

Don't purchase too much equipment until you've had a chance to think through your entire configuration, which IMO will happen once you rent some gear and get out there.

In either case, congrats on your OW and have fun :)

Bjorn

jeckyll:
Now I'll tell you what I did: Initially I got my computer in a console but diving with a BP/W I found that it simply didn't work for me. Tossed the console, got a strap for the computer & wrist mounted it. Clipping off the SPG now the way it 'should be'. I find that having my compass on my left wrist, with my computer & back up bottom timer (read: dive watch), works well for me.
Bjorn

i learned this the hard way. as such i ditched my console and relocated the compass & dive watch to my left wrist. dive comp on my right wrist. the config changes was due in most part to my shift to a bp/wing rig (i only do recreational diving).

bjorn is very much correct, it's not just the instruments you have to worry about, you might want to relate it to your whole configuration.

still if you find yourself comfortable with a console then by all means go for it. have fun!

Thanks all for the many good comments and suggestions.

Regarding Jesse Curry's comment that "The biggest reason the instructors said that they use console is because they use a lot of different exposure suits. Apparently they don't like to use wrist mount with a dry suit," all the instructors for the OW dives this past weekend wore wetsuits and they all had wrist-mounted computers and compasses. I only mention this to acknowledge the point made by most contributors: the choice is highly subjective.

you can get the sunnto's on a wrist or console. i have both for mine. i didnt like the console so i run it on my wrist. esay to see and to use, I also have the same for my sunnto SK7 compass. on a console its to much time to take out and use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom