Wrist or Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most divers who have used both end up preferring a wrist mounted computer for the reasons that have been posted. I agree with those comments and switched from console to wrist. There is one thing, though, that applies to new divers; it's not a bad thing to have all your info in one place, so you can keep track of your air consumption along with tracking your depth. Experienced divers typically don't have to check their air nearly as often, which means you can safely clip your SPG off and mostly just look at your wrist. There's a case to be made that brand new divers could benefit from seeing their air supply every time they look at depth. So, I guess IMO the ideal scenario would be to start diving with a console, then at some point when you have a good idea of your gas consumption, get a wrist boot for the computer, then just either toss the console boot and use the SPG bootless, or put a back up analog depth guage in the space that the computer once took. (You might have to get a new boot for that, but they're cheap)

I know this is a somewhat convoluted approach that would cost a little more, but it's something to think about. The aeris atmos computers will allow you to do this, because the wrist and a variety of console boots are easily available.

Fouremco:
Completed my OW over the weekend. :D

Now I'm ready to start purchasing equipment over the next few months. As I've been doing my research, including a lot of reading here, I've seen passing comments on the benefits of console-mounted equipment in some posts and wrist-mounted equipment in others, but I've not found any threads dealing specificaly with the differences in approach and there relative merits.

My inclination right now is to go for a wrist-mounted computer and compass with a single SPG guage console, but I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance...
My primary computer is on my wrist, my backup on my console. I prefer using the wrist 'puter, as I wear it on my left (inside) wrist, so as I ascend, I can watch my ascent rate while venting my BC, all with the same arm. That way my right arm is free to grab the anchor line, hold my light or whatever, depending on the situation.
Just my 2 psi
C-Dawg

Vtdiver2:
My primary computer is on my wrist, my backup on my console. I prefer using the wrist 'puter, as I wear it on my left (inside) wrist, so as I ascend, I can watch my ascent rate while venting my BC, all with the same arm. That way my right arm is free to grab the anchor line, hold my light or whatever, depending on the situation.
Just my 2 psi
C-Dawg

Hmmm, I like the sound of freeing up my right hand during ascents, and wearing the computer on the inside of the left wrist certainly seems to allow for that. I'd just be afraid of bashing it, especially if I choose one of the larger units rather than a watch-style computer.

So many things to consider... :280:

Its already been said but I cast my vote for the wrist.

On the wrist, you check the guages often. On the console, you check less often.
I have air integrated, hoseless and used with the SPG as a backup. I never looked at it and when the hose started to leak I removed it. It still travels with me as a backup.

Unfortunately my compas was on the spg, now I need a new wrist compass

Fouremco:
Hmmm, I like the sound of freeing up my right hand during ascents, and wearing the computer on the inside of the left wrist certainly seems to allow for that. I'd just be afraid of bashing it, especially if I choose one of the larger units rather than a watch-style computer.

So many things to consider... :280:

I think that you will see a substantial increase in DC wear & tear, when wearing it on the inside of your wrist (unless you are very careful). Replacement protective covers will probably be needed.

Consider this option (since most people wear their watch on their left wrist): mount the DC on yor right wrist and use a multifunctional dive watch (BT & DG) on the standard left wrist (as redundant guages). Regardless, of the situation, everything will be conveniently located and instinctively, you will know what is on your left wrist. (By the way, I use and have confidence in the Aeris Atmos Elite wireless AI dive computer.)

Fouremco:
Thanks all for the many good comments and suggestions.

Regarding Jesse Curry's comment that "The biggest reason the instructors said that they use console is because they use a lot of different exposure suits. Apparently they don't like to use wrist mount with a dry suit," all the instructors for the OW dives this past weekend wore wetsuits and they all had wrist-mounted computers and compasses. I only mention this to acknowledge the point made by most contributors: the choice is highly subjective.

Odd. All the instructors in my AOW wore drysuits and every last one of them had a computer on their wrist. I guess it really is subjective :wink:

jeckyll:
Odd. All the instructors in my AOW wore drysuits and every last one of them had a computer on their wrist. I guess it really is subjective :wink:

In my OW, the instructor was in a dry suit and had a wrist computer and compass....we all wore wrist compasses as well with our dry suits and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it on the wrist. I guess it really does depend on who you are and what you prefer. :D

I would personally recommend a wrist mount computer but a gauge mount compass. As mentioned above, a wrist mount compass can be a hassle to use.

I use a wrist mount computer and prefer it to using a gauge mount primarily for ascents. You can extend your arm and watch your ascent rate simultaniously making for safer ascents.

The compass on the other hand is much easier to use in a gauge mount set up I find. It is easier to hold in the centre of your body and keep it relatively flat while swimming.

But as stated above, it comes down to personal preference. Congrats on the O/W cert, hope you enjoy your diving!

SStrecker:
I think that you will see a substantial increase in DC wear & tear, when wearing it on the inside of your wrist (unless you are very careful). Replacement protective covers will probably be needed.

Consider this option (since most people wear their watch on their left wrist): mount the DC on yor right wrist and use a multifunctional dive watch (BT & DG) on the standard left wrist (as redundant guages). Regardless, of the situation, everything will be conveniently located and instinctively, you will know what is on your left wrist. (By the way, I use and have confidence in the Aeris Atmos Elite wireless AI dive computer.)
I wear mine on my left wrist. When I'm diving, it's on top of the wrist, as with my arms crossed in front of me, I can check it. However, as I start my ascent, I spin it to the inside of my wrist, so as I use my BC inflator during the ascent, I can watch it and monitor my rate of ascent.
I've done this for years with no issues and still the same protective cover. Wear & Tear ? None so far.
C-Dawg

I wear my computer mounted on my right wrist. I wear my compass on a retractor clipped to the right D-ring on my BC. I have a mini SPG which is clipped on the left.

I hold my compass in both hands in front of me while navigating keeping my elbows close to my body--same way you do when using a console. By the way, I've never forgotten my computer. If I do take it off between dives, I buckle it to the D-ring on my BC. Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom