Write Up of Near Death in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like the troll war is full on with this.

I don't know what happened IRL but I will say in reading the article it is clear to me that the author has a bone to grind with SSI or at least this instructor/shop. Reading between the lines it can be noted that the instructor expressed concerns about the regulator and gear the victim was using (whether it was tactfully done or as a snide comment up for debate). I am surprised that the class allowed her to use non shop gear at all for a variety of reasons. Most shops I'm familiar with include the gear rental in their open water classes, as well do quite a few independent instructors that I know.

Mr Cassel's description of the equipment failure due to sand doesn't make allot of sense to me either. I've never see an second stage that had an 'exhaust' diaphragm, so I'm not sure if this is a misnomer of the on demand diaphragm (which is used to supply air not exhaust it). In his defense the students (and everyone who dives) should pre-test their regulators by breathing on them several times prior to descending beneath the water EVERY time, and if this routine was neglected it is a point in his favor.

Just to be clear I'm neither defending nor attacking the author or the instructor/shop in question I am only pointing out to those of you reaching for pitch forks and torches that it is clear the whole story is not known, and if you read the article dispassionately it is clear there are some major portions of the story that need to be scrutinized a little more before judgement can be made.

Cheers,
CD

Seems like the troll war is full on with this.

Indeed, but if you look at the author's credential(s). He knows of what he speaks. . . 13,000 hours underwater is a hell of a lot of time. I don't blame him for wanting to use his own equipment, if my SO was taking an intro class, I'm much rather she dive with something I knew in favor of a shop regulator with an unknown service history.

Since you're obviously concerned about trolls, tell me again the point of your post and what new insights it contained?

Indeed, but if you look at the author's credential(s). He knows of what he speaks. . . 13,000 hours underwater is a hell of a lot of time.

And what is the correlation between bottom time and rationale objective thinking? I know lots of people with massive amounts of bottom time and cert cards that I still won't dive with because I think they are cavalier with safety and procedures.

Since you're obviously concerned about trolls, tell me again the point of your post and what new insights it contained?

New insights?
None.

Points?
1. Taking one side of a story as the whole un doctored truth is naive at best and dangerous at worse.
2. That and several key points of his story do not stand up very well to casual scrutiny.

And what is the correlation between bottom time and rationale objective thinking? I know lots of people with massive amounts of bottom time and cert cards that I still won't dive with because I think they are cavalier with safety and procedures.

New insights?
None.

Points?
1. Taking one side of a story as the whole un doctored truth is naive at best and dangerous at worse.
2. That and several key points of his story do not stand up very well to casual scrutiny

but he is diving legend, and legends never try and sway you using their "fame" . . . you are a hater and should be shunned for thinking otherwise. /sarcasm

When this comes out in court it will be interesting. I received info on this from a trusted source and while Mr Cassel's writing style may be somewhat dramatic the facts as presented are true. Some of us tend to write in the style we are used to using for articles that we get paid for. It doesn't mean it's false. Just because it's not at the average public education level in the US.

And every reg second stage does have an exhaust diaphragm that if damaged, filled with junk, or missing will cause the reg to breathe wet and if held open the diver will get a lot of water. Very easy to see how it could have gotten filled with sand if not secured and another great argument for a longer hose and bungeed back up.

Both instructors have been kicked out of SSI but still teach for other agencies AFAIK to date. Hopefully that gets rectified soon.

I agree that a bungeed backup should always be used. Long hose is good but I can see normal length for basic OW courses for the majority of new diver training. I have never liked the drag a second stage while you dive process.

I will bet that this never gets to trial.......... If there was not a basis for the items In The letter the two instructors would not be dumped as they were.

I am surprised that the class allowed her to use non shop gear at all for a variety of reasons. Most shops I'm familiar with include the gear rental in their open water classes, as well do quite a few independent instructors that I know.

It's not unusual for the shop to "allow" her to use non-shop gear and many shops do not include the gear rental in their o/w classes. Some do not include gear rental in the confined water sessions either. I bought my own gear BEFORE my o/w class.

Mr Cassel's description of the equipment failure due to sand doesn't make allot of sense to me either. I've never see an second stage that had an 'exhaust' diaphragm, so I'm not sure if this is a misnomer of the on demand diaphragm (which is used to supply air not exhaust it).

Jim Lapenta already explained this well, so we'll leave it at that.

If there's been an accident, instructors/DM's are supposed to inform their respective agencies, right? So the other agencies they teach for should be aware of the incident? I guess there were few professionals that were witnesses to the events...

Does anyone else feel that the use of a vintage Twinhose regulator "US Divers DA Aquamaster with phoenix adaptor" (see missing kit list) would have been a significant contributing factor in this catalog of errors. From the instructors comments it appears that was the first time they saw the student with that piece of kit, and it sounds like the student (and probably the instructors as well) didn't know how to clear it either. The failure of the regulator was a direct cause of the rapid ascent. Aslo 4 Go Pro cameras were missing. 4! Was the author writing an article on learning to dive Vintage style (single window mask, back plate) that the instructors were less than happy about?

I'll retract this, as it looks like the twin hose was the authors equipment not hers. The article doesn't mention what she was using, but does mention she had a AIR2, and he also had an AIR2 fitted on his BC, twin hose combo - it's a long leap to conclude she was using the same, but anythings possible given the intructors comments.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom