Write Up of Near Death in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why if you do report something to them via email, copy it to your local newspaper, tv station, and a local elected official. And let them see who you copied it to. Don't blind copy them. I used to do this when trying to deal with my late wife's insurance issues. The carrier never wanted to approve new prescriptions without all kinds of hassles. So I'd email them and copy it to all the local tv stations, my state and federal representatives, and during the call I'd make initially I'd ask for the persons name so I could tell my state and congressional reps who they needed to ask for when they called them or their supervisor. I'd get put on hold for 3-5 minutes and then the new meds would be approved.

"PADI's position is that unless you're directly involved in an incident they won't accept a report from you. I've come across that several times. Down here (Belize) PADI controls the (recreational) roost and almost all instructors/DMs/operators are PADI affiliated. People involved in an incident usually don't want to report it - for obvious reasons - and if PADI won't accept reports from anyone else it means that most incidents go unreported/uninvestigated. Not an ideal state of affairs."

And this is why you need to report it to others as well. And if you stay on them they will look into it. I know. They don't like getting calls a couple times a week along with emails at the same rate.

That's why if you do report something to them via email, copy it to your local newspaper, tv station, and a local elected official.

That's probably a bad idea.

Your local elected official is just as likely to say "Hey, someone almost got killed SCUBA diving on the beach. Let's close the beach to SCUBA divers."

flots.

Your local elected official is just as likely to say "Hey, someone almost got killed SCUBA diving on the beach. Let's close the beach to SCUBA divers."

flots.

By all means. We know PADI / SSI / et. al. has the diving community's best interests at heart and will vigorously pursue any hint of mis-conduct [/SARCASM]

flots.

That's what I was thinking...

Just like they do when someone gs hurt mountain biking on public land... Close the land so no one else gets hurt...

Sent from my pasture using Tabableet 2

When this comes out in court it will be interesting. I received info on this from a trusted source and while Mr Cassel's writing style may be somewhat dramatic the facts as presented are true. Some of us tend to write in the style we are used to using for articles that we get paid for. It doesn't mean it's false. Just because it's not at the average public education level in the US.

And every reg second stage does have an exhaust diaphragm that if damaged, filled with junk, or missing will cause the reg to breathe wet and if held open the diver will get a lot of water. Very easy to see how it could have gotten filled with sand if not secured and another great argument for a longer hose and bungeed back up.

Both instructors have been kicked out of SSI but still teach for other agencies AFAIK to date. Hopefully that gets rectified soon.

Yes it can be easily fouled, but how would the author KNOW that is what happened? If he saw the regulator getting ground into the beach sand before the dive, i assume he would have checked it before allowing her to use it. If that is not the case, and the dive shop had the gear after the accident, they could have cleaned it or done anything, so where would the proof that sand clogged the exhaust valve and caused leakage?

Yes it can be easily fouled, but how would the author KNOW that is what happened? If he saw the regulator getting ground into the beach sand before the dive, i assume he would have checked it before allowing her to use it. If that is not the case, and the dive shop had the gear after the accident, they could have cleaned it or done anything, so where would the proof that sand clogged the exhaust valve and caused leakage?
Which is where two problem would be spotted 1 if he fixed for her, what has she learned? She doesn't need to do anything he will fix it for me 2 if he did see it and not say hey, you need to be careful because that is bad then he is also one piece of the problems in this accident.

Sent from my pasture using Tabableet 2

Indeed. That aspect to the incident sounds highly speculative.

Unbelievable, SSI should investigate, ban/suspend these two so-called instructors.

I just assumed that he put two and two together - i.e the reg was fine when last used, he's probably meticulous with its cleaning and servicing, but his GF reported that it was breathing wet. A re-think of what could have happened has had him thinking about when she was sitting - maybe he asked her if she let the reg hang in the sand, and voila a supposition becomes fact.

I think I would have written it as I suspect that.. it may have become fouled when she .....

Back
Top Bottom