Wrongful Death Suit re: Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortola said it was an accident until proven otherwise.
The prosecution said her mask strap was ripped off the clip, her snorkel mouth piece was missing and a fin was stuck toe first into the sand. That was suppose to prove she was murdered. Her log proved that she used to dive alone alot. I hope the father doesn't get the dive shop , he will close it and sell off the real estate probably. Another local dive shop gone. Its a sin.

joed:
Tortola said it was an accident until proven otherwise.
The prosecution said her mask strap was ripped off the clip, her snorkel mouth piece was missing and a fin was stuck toe first into the sand. That was suppose to prove she was murdered. Her log proved that she used to dive alone alot. I hope the father doesn't get the dive shop , he will close it and sell off the real estate probably. Another local dive shop gone. Its a sin.

I have definitely been wondering what will become of his shop. It is one of the nicer shops in Southern New England. It would certainly hurt the local diving community to lose it, but barring some sort of appeal it is hard to imagine how the shop can continue to exist. Aside from the risk of having to liquidate the shop to pay the damages, losing a case like this has to scare away a lot of customers.

Guilt? Innocence? "Issue" jurisdiction? "Model" civil rules?

Kudos to Andy for his patient explanations but I have to wonder. Most people wouldn't espouse opinions on how do a surgery unless they're doctors and have done operations. Why doesn't the same apply to trial work? Because they watch Law & Order?

I mean there are dive buddies, and then there are dive buddies. Maybe not having a designated buddy ain't so bad after all? :)

"Jury Says Dive Shop Owner Murdered His Wife Underwater: A Providence RI civil trial jury has unanimously awarded the parents of Shelley Tyre, the deceased wife of <name removed>, more than $3.5 in compensatory and punitive damages for her death. During the trial, they heard lawyers for the plaintiff describe how in the British Virgins in 1999, the defendant had killed her in 80 feet of water by turning off her air and holding her down. His reason: to inherit her property. The defendant, who has never been criminally charged with her death, says he may appeal]]undercurrent

Should this be on here as there is nothing to study or learn from this. It's headlines.

Dang, someone took my idea...........

Saw it a week or two ago on the D2D forum on the "other" board, along with comments from some Rhode Island divers who knew him.

Civil trials are an adversarial process, and I wouldn't necessarily consider it conclusive as to what happened factually, especially where the defendant didn't appear for much of the trial and didn't have, or hire, an attorney. Too one-sided that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom