Closed WTB: SS Backplate

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've come a long way in this thread...Given the level of disfunction, I'd like to invite you all to Thanksgiving this year at my place (TBD). I feel fairly confident after this thread that we can tackle bigger discussion points, like foreign policy, spgs vs. transmitters, religion, usefulness of Spare Air, politics, and maybe even split fins.

Bold idea, and smart to omit the snorkel from the topic list. Chit gets real on that one....

Bold idea, and smart to omit the snorkel from the topic list. Chit gets real on that one....
The first rule of snorkel club is no one talks about snorkel club...

FTR, I'm sorry to have asked an apparently gas-lighting question. I have various plates, but most are "heavy", lending to the question of why if you said a "lite" was the product of choice you were wanting steel.

But hey, we are way beyond that now....

FTR, I'm sorry to have asked an apparently gas-lighting question. I have various plates, but most are "heavy", lending to the question of why if you said a "lite" was the product of choice you were wanting steel.

But hey, we are way beyond that now....
I mean at this point, I feel I owe it to you. You've stuck with me through this whole ordeal, the least I can do is answer the 'shot heard around the world'.

In the ocean on an open circuit single tank setup in a 3mm wetsuit I don't need any weight when I use Dive Rite's extra light plate and an Al80. The plate is about 2.5lbs and works perfectly. I use the same plate on my rebreather and when I'm diving dry with two bailouts I don't need any additional weight in water temps down to 45*F. I'm thinking of adding the XT plate because it sits at around 5-5.5 lbs give or take and when my wife uses that plate in the ocean in a 3mm she doesn't need any additional weight either. Then if I need to dive colder temps and need to add weight, I can start by using the XT plate and that keeps me from ever needing any lead around my waist.

As for stainless vs. Aluminum, I always prefer stainless because of the weight compared to aluminum. With today's skeletonized plates, you can pick the exact weight you want from 2.5lbs to 12lbs+. I prefer the added durability of stainless, though aluminum is fine for most everyone. Lastly, the additional slots that come standard on Dive Rite and some other brands are helpful for additional rigging and modularity. You can source similar patterns on Ally plates, but they just typically don't fit my needs. It all comes down to modularity, trim, weight, and rigging that I can swap from simple OC single tank setups to full trimix ccr diving.

And with that, I'd like to thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Thank you for sticking with me on this journey.

The backplate that sparked the shot heard around the world has been located. Thank you interwebs! 🤙 .

Mods, you can delete if you'd like...Or, preserve this bad-boy for the histories 🤣

All my Love,

Seth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom