WtF: The Decline in Scuba Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, you can just live there in a tropical paradise. After covid there is so much remote work, it is amazing. Guess where I live? Just letting you know, I am not talking about some abstract idea.
Very good point. As I dive locally anyway, Covid really didn't change most of my diving right through the last year. But someone could be doing that in Aruba too and seeing more than rocks, seaweed, kelp & flounders.

Hey I'm just glad people are recognizing the financial difference without the thread being dominated by 'young people are lazy' this time around :p

We did everything we could to make sure our kids left college with no student loans, and a paid off car. But now, home prices are doubling every several years, and people don’t dicker down from asked-for housing prices, they bid up against cash buyers who may not have even looked at the property. So, our kids can't even get a house. Not much room in a modern budget for play. And I’m not someone who is patient with twenty-somethings whining at boomers because of the economy! But something has to change in the broader picture.

home prices are doubling every several years, and people don’t dicker down from asked-for housing prices, they bid up against cash buyers who may not have even looked at the property.

One thing for sure, when I sell my house and move to Europe, there's no coming back to Seattle.

I have had several conversations with people about the expense of diving, if you look at it versus other activities it is really not any more expensive. Here in South Florida you can get certified and buy a full set of inexpensive good quality gear, without tanks, for under $1500, maybe under $1000 if you find the right deal. Your equipment if properly cared for can last many years, I am currently using a 25+ year old regulator. A two tank dive trip runs anywhere from about $80 to $125, A round of golf or a half day fishing charter will cost about the same and going to an amusement park will cost a lot more! People have no problem spending $1000 + for the latest cell phone that will last maybe 2 years they just think that diving has to cost many thousands of dollars, it can but does not have to! Another issue is the scheduling for the classes, there are many people with disposable incomes that do not work regular hours and do not want to spend the money for private or semi private lessons. When I was teaching in the early 90's I catered to these group by scheduling morning classes so that I could take care of students that worked the overnight shift and weekends, most of my students ended up being medical professionals who knew more about the physics and medical aspects than I did and I learned a lot from them plus they made great students. We also need to spend more time not just teaching students how to dive but what to look for while diving, I have had dives where I have seen really cool creatures but many of the other divers did not see them because they did not know where to look or what to look for. The Blue Heron Bridge for instance is a great dive if you can find the different structures and know where to look for the different creatures, I have dove there at least 100 times over the last 30 years and never get bored. I have been on a charter boat off shore where we spotted a Manta Ray but out of more than a dozen divers only 2 of us actually saw the Manta because everyone else was so focused on the reef they never looked up. I have been on dives where several people didn't see anything notable while the rest of us saw all kinds of different cool stuff, on the next dive I made sure to stay with them and point out all of the really cool stuff and they did nothing but rave about their second dive. As divers we need to help others enjoy diving so that they stick with it, I speak to many people on a regular basis that just got bored with it or life got in the way and they stopped diving.

We did everything we could to make sure our kids left college with no student loans, and a paid off car. But now, home prices are doubling every several years, and people don’t dicker down from asked-for housing prices, they bid up against cash buyers who may not have even looked at the property. So, our kids can't even get a house. Not much room in a modern budget for play. And I’m not someone who is patient with twenty-somethings whining at boomers because of the economy! But something has to change in the broader picture.

My parents did the same. My sister and I have been lucky enough to also leave college with no loans, but housing... I get scared just looking at apartment prices let alone houses! My goal in life for if and when I have kids is to have enough financial security that they also don't have to draw on loans and do what you and my parents did for their kids but sheesh. It's looking rough even if I backtracked and looked at where I'd be if I never dove.

My parents did the same. My sister and I have been lucky enough to also leave college with no loans, but housing... I get scared just looking at apartment prices let alone houses! My goal in life for if and when I have kids is to have enough financial security that they also don't have to draw on loans and do what you and my parents did for their kids but sheesh. It's looking rough even if I backtracked and looked at where I'd be if I never dove.

Move to Europe. High-level education at a very cheap cost (some country may even pay you a salary for studying if you accept to work in that country for three years after the degree). Frankly speaking, I do not even understand why in the US you insist on the private system, but this is another subject.

And you can dive almost everywhere; often, you are very close to the snow as well... It's a little heaven :)

Though, housing can be a problem here too...

Frankly speaking, I do not even understand why in the US you insist on the private system, but this is another subject.

Without going off too far on a tangent or getting into whose system is better, from what I've been told, in at least some countries getting into a university is competitive - you need to test well. In the U.S., as long as we're talking about state universities and not the more prestigious ones, it seems it's not. In other words, in the U.S., yes you are responsible for your costs, but if you graduated high school or got a G.E.D., and you want to go to college, you can probably go. And many people who 'test well' qualify for scholarships, so college is often subsidized...if you're obviously high end college material.

Now, graduate and professional schools (e.g.: medical or veterinary schools), private or other 'big name' schools are another story. But someone who wants to go for a Bachelor degree in the U.S. can get the opportunity.

In the U.S., as long as we're talking about state universities and not the more prestigious ones, it seems it's not.
Different schools have different student target populations, and they enroll accordingly. That very much includes state schools. Some of the colleges in the NY state system are extremely hard to get into; others less so. Here in Colorado, all state funded colleges have target enrollment goals set by the state legislature. The Colorado School of Mines has the highest requirements, and the University of Colorado in Boulder has the next highest. Even the school with the lowest enrollment standards cannot simply be attended by anyone who wants to go; you have to meet their standards.

It is easier to go to a 2-year college in most areas, and that is a good option for students with poor high school performance. In Colorado, if you get through a state 2-year program, you have guaranteed entry into a 4-year program.

In the case of most students with poor high school performance, the performance has little to do with ability. They usually simply found something else in their lives that was more interesting to them, and that often included drugs. In many cases, studies show, just hanging around was the option they preferred. By the time they finally realize they have to do something with their lives that might include an education, they are often in deep trouble. They can't suddenly make up 3 years of high school when they are in their 20s. For them, getting a GED and heading to a 2-year school is a better option. A good example in Colorado is someone named Loren Boebert, who decided last year that her lack of a high school education might be a detriment to her political career, so she took a GED class and got that GED while she was running for congress. She was elected, so it shows that it is never too late to get an education.

Without going off too far on a tangent or getting into whose system is better, from what I've been told, in at least some countries getting into a university is competitive - you need to test well. In the U.S., as long as we're talking about state universities and not the more prestigious ones, it seems it's not. In other words, in the U.S., yes you are responsible for your costs, but if you graduated high school or got a G.E.D., and you want to go to college, you can probably go. And many people who 'test well' qualify for scholarships, so college is often subsidized...if you're obviously high end college material.

Now, graduate and professional schools (e.g.: medical or veterinary schools), private or other 'big name' schools are another story. But someone who wants to go for a Bachelor degree in the U.S. can get the opportunity.
Yes. And they brought back free tuition for CUNY in NYC. I hear in some European countries this is the case as well.

it is never too late to get an education.
Truer words were never spoken.

Yes. And they brought back free tuition for CUNY in NYC. I hear in some European countries this is the case as well.
I was curious, so I looked it up. 24 countries worldwide, 16 in Europe: Which Countries Provide Free Education At A University Level? - The Edvocate

Europe

1. Norway: Tuition is not only reduced or free for citizens but also international students. Taxpayers’ money covers attendance to state universities, but the tradeoff is higher living expenses.
  2. Sweden: Although previously offered to all students, their tuition is now only free to citizens and European students. There was an increase in scholarship programs to compensate.
  3. Germany: Some universities have recently begun charging some tuition fees, but the majority of them still offer free education to all students, even international. They may ask for a small contribution each semester, but it is nowhere near the price of full tuition.
  4. Denmark: All Danish citizens are offered scholarships and aid, but most colleges are entirely free. They offer their programs to citizens, European students, and students with certain visas.
  5. Finland: Finland is a country that offers completely free education and only charges fees to non-European students that wish to take classes in English. Living expenses are not covered.
  6. Austria: Not quite a tuition-free country, but very close. Tuition and school fees are very low for citizens and European students with a slight increase for non-European students.
  7. Greece: Free education is available for citizens of Greece and European students; international fees are very low in comparison to regular tuition fees in other countries.
  8. France: Not free, but very low. If you are native to France or Europe, you will only be paying a few hundred euros. International fees do go up to thousands per year.
South America

1. Uruguay: Education is free to all Uruguay citizens. In common South American fashion, it does not extend to European or non-European students.
  2. Brazil: University-level education is free for all students, even international students. Just be prepared to take all classes in Portuguese as they do not offer English.
  3. Argentina: Free education is only offered to Argentinian students and citizens; it is not available for international students.
North America

1. Panama: Free to all students, with no concern for nationality. That includes citizens, Europeans, and all international students.
Asia

1. Malaysia: Not surprisingly as free tuition is uncommon within Asia, free education is only available to Malaysian citizens.
Africa

1. Morocco: Free tuition to all citizens, but does not outreach to international students.
  2. Egypt: Also, only free tuition to all citizens, but not to international students. Their programs are meant to decrease poverty within their country.
  3. Kenya: Different than other African countries, they allow free education for citizens and also to international students. International students are limited to public tuition if they’re high-scoring secondary school students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom