WTX Harness and wing configuration...First Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

intheair10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For my first diving rig I'm looking into the Apex WTX harness w/ Surelock weight system, an Oxycheq 40lb. wing, Suunto Vyper wrist computer w/analog spg gauges/compass, Airsource 3 by Aqualung, and Aqualung Kronos Supreme regulator (I like that the exhaust bubbles are away from the mask). Most of my diving will be recreational done in Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico. I'm also interested in learning about tech diving in wrecks and caverns/cenotes. My experience thus far is 4 ow dives and I'm nitrox certified. This July I'll be trying out a basic Zeagle Ranger setup to get used to a back inflate BC in the Cayman Islands and will be taking Advanced OW courses.

I've talked to several local Aqualung dealers in the MSP area and none has been able to answer questions on the WTX nor has one in stock that I could try on. I tried on a Diverite SS BP/W with a hog harness and I thought it was uncomfortable and unintuitive.

-Is the above setup compatible with each other and realistic for a (mostly) recreational rig?

-Is the WTX harness compatible with wings from other vendors? How comfortable and easy to configure?

-How does a BP/W setup pack for travel compared to a BC like the Zeagle Ranger?

I simply want a rig that is durable, reliable, streamlined, relatively lightweight, and will last for many years and will be able to progress without having to buy new gear (hence the harness and wing).

Howdy! I dive a WTX backplate and wing. I've got over 80 dives. I love the BP/W configuration as it gives - amongst other virtues - way more mobility and freedom.

To answer your questions:the harness is compatible with most standard wings. I don't think the Airsource 3 is compatible with most WTX or other "wings." (try to imagine breathing from the Airsource #, or having your buddy breathe from it, while trying to maintain proper buoyancy, and you'll see why it's not a favoured configuration)

The Hogarthian rig (back plate plus simple, no-pad harness) takes more than a few tries to feel comfortable. Please understand that comfort in the dive shop is not equal to comfort at the dive site, which is especially not equal to comfort underwater. YMMV. I sometimes have to bushwack to reach shore dives in my rig, and I only find advantages to diving a BP/W.

It is comfortable, and easy to configure. It takes time and dives to work it out, though. I've got 10 dives on my current set-up, and I know it needs "tweaking."

BP/W is super easy to pack; it is small, lightweight, and efficient. My rig is 6 or 7 lbs total and packs smaller than a slacks and a shirt.

It's a good choice!
Cheers!
VI

For my first diving rig I'm looking into the Apex WTX harness w/ Surelock weight system, an Oxycheq 40lb. wing

Given you are diving Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico, I'd look at a smaller wing (30#s or less) and possible not bothering with the Surelock weight system. Weight belts in warm water are comfortable, easily managed, and cheap.

I tried on a Diverite SS BP/W with a hog harness and I thought it was uncomfortable and unintuitive.

What's uncomforable and unintuitive about the hogarthian harness?

Also, consider that top side performance does not reflect underwater performance. The nice padding of most BCDs feel great in the showroom. But in the water they are unnecessary and add bulk.

Is the above setup compatible with each other and realistic for a (mostly) recreational rig?

The big issue is whether or not the WTX harness will work with the OxyCheq wing. I know that that the WTX wing's cam band slots did not align with my Hammerhead backplate, so be careful here.

Another issue is that the OxyCheq's inflator hose may be too short to comfortably use the Airsource 3. If this is the case, you will need to buy a longer inflator hose.

Is the WTX harness compatible with wings from other vendors? How comfortable and easy to configure?

Yep, good question about the the compatibility. Hopefully someone will have the definite answer for you. Or if it's an LDS, I'd buy from them :)

The WTX harness (and the Dive Rite transpac) are comfortable and easy to configure. In the water, I disliked the extra material and padding of the softpacks.

However, if I was only warm water diving, then a WTX harness or a TransPac would be nice.

How does a BP/W setup pack for travel compared to a BC like the Zeagle Ranger?

A BP/W set-up travels much better than a Zeagle Ranger. The Ranger is HUGE, and does not pack up well. The BP/W can be detached, and each component can be optimally packed in a bag.

I simply want a rig that is durable, reliable, streamlined, relatively lightweight, and will last for many years and will be able to progress without having to buy new gear (hence the harness and wing).

I'm not usually one that recommends a backplate and wing off the get go, but based on your requirements, it's best to revisit and hard backplate and hogarthian harness. It meets all your requirements better than any other set-up out there - especially for streamlined and progression in diving.

My progression went from Zeagle Ranger -> Dive Rite TransPac -> BP/W. Would have been easier if I just went to a BP/W to being with.

For my first diving rig I'm looking into the Apex WTX harness w/ Surelock weight system,

I've talked to several local Aqualung dealers in the MSP area and none has been able to answer questions on the WTX

-Is the above setup compatible with each other and realistic for a (mostly) recreational rig?

-Is the WTX harness compatible with wings from other vendors? How comfortable and easy to configure?

-How does a BP/W setup pack for travel compared to a BC like the Zeagle Ranger?

Both my wife and I use the Apeks WTX Harness. We both use DiveRite Venture 30# wings on them. (Bought them on sale!)
The camband spacing is the standard spacing so most any wing will fit.
Apeks makes a nice 32# wing as well.
A sinlge tank fits sungly without any extra adapters.
It packs flat and light for easy traveling.
The system has a pocket built in the back so it can also accept a steel plate for doubles or if you would like the added weight for easy trimming out. When I travel, I just toss in a couple of ankle weights once I arrive to counter the AL80's common at resorts.
My wife uses the SureLoc weight pockets but I don't but rather perfer a weight belt.

For my money, the WTX is the most flexible diving system available today. The only knock comes from the hard core hog harness folks, not from anyone who has used it.

I like the system and if I lost it, I'd buy another.:wink:

A colleague of mine who's a Master Diver/Instructor gave me the advice about the wing. After doing more studying I'm thinking a cell with a little less lift may be more appropriate. As a general rule if you're diving singles in warm waters with a typical AL80 a cell ranging from 17-35lb. would be a good idea? That's what the manufacturers advertise with the wings with the least amount of lift. Stock BCs like the Black Diamond and Zeagle Ranger have 50 and 44lbs., respectively, is this to offset the bulkiness? I looked at the DiveRite Venture wings and can't figure out why they've designed them to be tapered at the top. Streamlining? Keep more of the lift at the waist?

Do people usually use one wing for warmer water and one for cold water, wet/dry suit diving? I'd prefer to have something that would encompass both. The Diverite Travel 360 wing has 30 lbs. of lift and I like that the inflator hose is off center, unlike what DSS and Apeks has.

Another thing, in some of the photos of Diverites wings (Rec EXP) they show the wing in the singles configuration to be tied into the harness on the sides to prevent tacoing. Is this a problem when diving singles? Wouldn't this wear out the outer liner? I ask because I'm interested in the WTX harness and I'm not sure the rings on the side were meant for tying the wing to it. Apeks says it's for drysuit rigging and for light canisters (although you could probably do both if you need to).

just certed last year, combed over posts here on SB for 6 mos. before I even set foot into the dive shop for my initial OW training... now 63 dives later I can say I absolutely love my Apeks WTX with the standard donut wing (35lbs. I believe)... I've got dives on it with a standard 80 and dives with a 121... the only thing I dont like about is is no pockets... Festooned with D-rings, but pockets? no.

Its all I'll Ever need w/ regards to a BCD , the Epitomy of the buy-it-once philosophy (imo).

:)

A colleague of mine who's a Master Diver/Instructor gave me the advice about the wing. After doing more studying I'm thinking a cell with a little less lift may be more appropriate. As a general rule if you're diving singles in warm waters with a typical AL80 a cell ranging from 17-35lb. would be a good idea?

The lift requirement of a wing (should be) dictated by what it has to lift.
A typical warm water diver in a typical 3m suit and average ballast (10-12lbs) with a full tank AL80 tank will be about 18-20 lbs negative.
So a wing will need to have a minimum of 25 lbs of lift. A typical wing with 30 lbs is more than sufficient.

If you add more weight to your rig or ballast then a larger wing would be in order.

Stock BCs like the Black Diamond and Zeagle Ranger have 50 and 44lbs., respectively, is this to offset the bulkiness?
They may be using the if a little does a little good, then alot must do alot of good. That theorem may work but it is not necessary nor is it efficienct.

I looked at the DiveRite Venture wings and can't figure out why they've designed them to be tapered at the top. Streamlining? Keep more of the lift at the waist?
That's the idea and it seems to work pretty well for me but may in fact not work for others. (Different body types and gear configurations)

Do people usually use one wing for warmer water and one for cold water, wet/dry suit diving? I'd prefer to have something that would encompass both. The Diverite Travel 360 wing has 30 lbs. of lift and I like that the inflator hose is off center, unlike what DSS and Apeks has.
I use the 30lbs wing for both warm and cold water dives but I will tell you that when I'm diving cold, I am close to the limit of my wing's lift ability.

If I were to dive doubles, I would need a larger wing.

Another thing, in some of the photos of Diverites wings (Rec EXP) they show the wing in the singles configuration to be tied into the harness on the sides to prevent tacoing. Is this a problem when diving singles? Wouldn't this wear out the outer liner? I ask because I'm interested in the WTX harness and I'm not sure the rings on the side were meant for tying the wing to it. Apeks says it's for drysuit rigging and for light canisters (although you could probably do both if you need to).

This is just one of the problems with diving a wing that is too large for the lift requirement. The placement of the inflator hose, center or off to one side does not really mean too much and should not be a part of your buying/not buying decision.

I only use the small Drings for clipping of SMB's, spare lights but mainly the key to my truck or dive box.

This afternoon I went to the lds to pick up my advanced ow manual and dvd. Being that the dealer sells Aqualung gear I asked him about the Apeks WTX harness and backplate setups in general. He told me he has zero interest in BP/W rigs and thinks that jacket style BC's are the way to go. I countered about the physics of the pendulum effect and he said that regardless of the setup you have the air will always go up, therefore keeping you stable. Frankly, I just don't like the way that jacket bc's squeeze you. Luckily there's another dealer an hour away who sells almost ever major brand of jacket, back-inflate, and BP/W and seems knowledgeable about it so I can make my own informed decision.

The WTX harness is probably the best BC I have. It not only is simply to use, but nothing except webbings around it that makes it simple. Want a backplate? You can insert it in the pocket design for it. Also, use it for tropical waters. Last time I was in Wakatobi, all I needed was the backplate for my weights and it kept me very trim.

For wings, don't buy into the 45lb wing for single and doubles. Buy the wing that is design for doubles, and one for singles. Believe me, it will be better and trims out too. The surelock weight system is also a great addition, never had a problem with it and was one of the features that sold me in the BC.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll enjoy it alot. Just a warning though, if you plan to use it for doubles, the tank bolt must be a little longer then usual.

The WTX harness is probably the best BC I have. It not only is simply to use, but nothing except webbings around it that makes it simple. Want a backplate? You can insert it in the pocket design for it. Also, use it for tropical waters. Last time I was in Wakatobi, all I needed was the backplate for my weights and it kept me very trim.

For wings, don't buy into the 45lb wing for single and doubles. Buy the wing that is design for doubles, and one for singles. Believe me, it will be better and trims out too. The surelock weight system is also a great addition, never had a problem with it and was one of the features that sold me in the BC.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll enjoy it alot. Just a warning though, if you plan to use it for doubles, the tank bolt must be a little longer then usual.

For now if I go with the WTX I'll go with a 35-40lb. wing and if I get around to doubles in the next few years I'll invest in a +50lb. wing. Is there any way to add pockets? Will any SS BP work or did Apeks design the harness so only their BP will work with it?

Back
Top Bottom