WTX Harness and wing configuration...First Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, any wings would work with the apeks backplate, and the apeks wing would work with any backplate. Shouldn't have a problem putting other brands together though. For me unfortunately, I'm a brand label victim. :rofl3:

Would anyone have pics of their setup with either the Apeks WTX or Diverite Transpac with their wing and tank installed? I've done a search on both but only the individual harness show up. thanks

Would anyone have pics of their setup with either the Apeks WTX or Diverite Transpac with their wing and tank installed? I've done a search on both but only the individual harness show up. thanks

I'll try to take and post some later today or tomorrow.

Nope, any wings would work with the apeks backplate, and the apeks wing would work with any backplate.

This is true if you are using an single tank adapter (STA). The 11" center bolts is the only thing that is "standardized" on backplates. Since STA's use the 11" center bolts, then wings and backplates are interchangeable.

If you are using the cam slots, then you need to be careful. The WTX-3 wing's cam slots do not line up with a Hammerhead backplate for example.

This is true if you are using an single tank adapter (STA). The 11" center bolts is the only thing that is "standardized" on backplates. Since STA's use the 11" center bolts, then wings and backplates are interchangeable.

If you are using the cam slots, then you need to be careful. The WTX-3 wing's cam slots do not line up with a Hammerhead backplate for example.

I don't get it. Are you trying to use a WTX with a Hammerhead plate? If so, the bolt holes line up fine as both are 11" OC. The cam band slots are not needed (on the Hammerhead) as you would use the WTX's cam band slots for the wing with a single tank and the standard 11" bolt holes for doubles.

That Ranger BC is a favorite around Florida, and you may end up liking it. Why? We drift dive, so after surfacing the boat comes around to pick you up. It can be a long wait, particuarly if you get good bottom time. When the seas are 6 feet, you like to float high on the surface, both for visibility, and keeping the waves from breaking over your head too often.

35 pounds of lift will boost a large diver out of the water adequately, and a 47 pounds-of-lift BC like I used to have was even better. Nobody wants to be the guy who is swallowing and spitting saltwater. That Ranger and other high lift BC's (I use Sherwood) will keep you nicely afloat.

Have fun with it.

I don't get it. Are you trying to use a WTX with a Hammerhead plate? If so, the bolt holes line up fine as both are 11" OC. The cam band slots are not needed (on the Hammerhead) as you would use the WTX's cam band slots for the wing with a single tank and the standard 11" bolt holes for doubles.

Yes, I had a WTX-3 wing and a Hammerhead BP. With STA, wing was usable given the 11" OC.

However, without an STA, the wing would not work as the cam bland slots on the wing does not line up with the cam band slots of the plate.

As the result, an STA was needed. Sorry for not making that more explicit.

Personally, I didn't like the WTX-3 wing. Functional, but not the most optimized. Felt similar to diving a large horseshoe wing such as the DiveRite Trek wing or a Zeagle Ranger.

Does anyone have experience with Oxycheq wings? How do they compare to other vendors? Their website gives hardly any insight.

Here are some pictures of my setup.

This is the WTX with the DiveRite Venture wing
DSC03114_Medium_.JPG

Back view showing cam bands looping through the wing/harness.
DSC03115_Medium_.JPG

Homemade plates of stainless steel (6lbs) wrapped in vinyl for added ballast when I dive dry or 7mm wetsuit. I pull it out for tropical or warm water diving and travel.
DSC03116_Medium_.JPG

Showing where/how the plates go in. This pocket also accepts and steel backplate if doubles diving or added ballast is called for.
When I travel, I just toss in some ankle weights for added ballast if needed.
DSC03117_Medium_.JPG

Showing the pocket closed. There is a pad that also connects here but I found it unnecessary.
DSC03118_Medium_.JPG

Showing the optional Apeks SurLoc weight pocket (sans the weight pocket). My wife likles them, I use a weight belt.
DSC03119_Medium_.JPG

Yes, I had a WTX-3 wing and a Hammerhead BP. With STA, wing was usable given the 11" OC.

Got it. You were talking about the Wing without the WTX harness system and we were discussing just the harness system, sorry. I'm not a fan of the WTX-3 wing and once the venture wing fails I'll get a DSS or a new Venture wing for my WTX Harness.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom