WTX Harness and wing configuration...First Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can a newbie diver use this BC setup? Where I come from, have not seen anyone use this. It's only jacket type BCs. Since I have not really seen anyone use this equipment, would appreciate if anyone could explain how this works and how does one get it all together. Or maybe point me to the right source where the info is already there?

Thanks.

A back plate and wing is really nothing more than a modular BC. There is no reason why a new diver cannot use one.

The idea that a BP&W is necessary only for "Tech" and that they are unsuitable for recreational diving is promoted by some. This is simply untrue.

Selecting the right combination of parts, i.e. plate, size and material, wing, capacity, and harness requires some time and understanding of the variables.

Initial setup, harness adjustment, etc. is also a bit more work with a BP&W vs he typical jacket BC.

These two inescapable facts can conspire to make some resellers reluctant to stock and recommend BP&W's, in short a jacket BC is easier for THEM.

Your question concerning how a BP&W works is pretty broad. I'll take a stab at it.

A typical BP&W starts with a backplate, usually a piece of Stainless steel.

Here is a typical example
10002_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg

The plate serves several functions; It provides ballast, it provides a secure means of attaching the harness, and a secure means of attaching the cylinder.

The wing is fit between the plate and the cylinder(s) As with any other BC the "wing" is used to adjust the diver's buoyancy.

Here is a typical wing
30126_IMAGE_LARGE.jpg

If you click on the link in my signature the front page of our website has a picture of a assembled single tank rig.

There are many variations on the basic BP&W. Depending on your ballast requirements you may want a Stainless Plate or a Plate that is less negative. The buoyancy of your exposure suit is the prime factor in determining what capacity wing you need.

If you can provide the following info I can make a specific recommendation:

Height and weight

Most buoyant Exposure suit

Cylinders used.

Please be as specific as possible. Answers like "I use everything from no suit to a 7mm, and every cylinder ever made" is in effect asking me to guess.

Tobin

Hi Tobin, that was awesome, thanks so much. I will try and provide specifics and be as accurate as possible.

Height: 5 ft 6in
Wt: 63 kgs
Generally dive with a 3mm shorty in tropical waters BUT I do plan to
dive in other conditions as well.
Cylinders used are generally 12 lts aluminium eq to a std Al 80

What price range will these be available at?

Thanks again.

Hi Tobin, that was awesome, thanks so much. I will try and provide specifics and be as accurate as possible.

Height: 5 ft 6in
Wt: 63 kgs
Generally dive with a 3mm shorty in tropical waters BUT I do plan to
dive in other conditions as well.
Cylinders used are generally 12 lts aluminium eq to a std Al 80

What price range will these be available at?

Thanks again.

At 5'6" you need a medium plate.

In a 3mm suit with al 80's I'd suggest a Stainless steel plate, and Torus 17 lbs wing.

Your wing needs enough lift to do two things; Float your rig at the surface without you in it, and enough lift to compensate for the compression of your wetsuit.

Your rig will be a bout -10 lbs with a full al 80. The plate and harness is about -6 lbs, your reg is about -2 and a full al 80 is about -2lbs. Total 10 lbs.

Your 3mm suit is most likely 3-4 lbs positive at the surface. Your suit cannot loose more buoyancy than it starts with, so a max of about 4 lbs.

If your suit is +4 lbs and an empty al 80 is also +4 lbs you need about 8 lbs of total ballast. The plate and harness provides ~6 lbs and your reg provides about 2 lbs.

This combination of medium SS plate and 17 lbs lift wing will be enough for 5mm suits, as they are typically 10-14 lbs positive, as long as you stick with al 80's

If you add a large capacity negative steel tank two things happen, you are very likely over weighted, meaning you have more total ballast than you need, and a 17 lbs wing may not be large enough to float your rig at the surface.

Smaller wings are more fun and easier to dive, specifying a much larger wing "just in case" is not the best approach.

Pricing? Look here https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs

Tobin

My lds was nice enough to let me rent their Apeks harness/wing which I used for my vacation to the Cayman Islands. After 9 dives with it I'm almost sold on it. The only problem with it is no matter how I adjusted the cam straps or the crotch strap the 1st stage tank valve always knocked the back of my head when I tried looking up. The only way I was able to see above me was to tilt my head to the side or rotate my body. Any thoughts on how to deal with this? I asked my instructor and he had no idea.

The only problem with it is no matter how I adjusted the cam straps or the crotch strap the 1st stage tank valve always knocked the back of my head when I tried looking up. Any thoughts on how to deal with this? I asked my instructor and he had no idea.

How 'bout trying this:

I was able to see above me was to tilt my head to the side or rotate my body.

That the way virtually all divers using doubles "look up"

Tobin

You can lengthen/adjust the shoulder straps to allow the tank to ride lower on your back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom