WV charters anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IzzyTahil

Contributor
Reaction score
I dislike having to wake up at the crack of dawn on my day off to do a boat dive. That said, I would like to know if WVD would like to charter a boat that would leave late morning or early aftenoon? I need a showing of hands (would need 6-8 people) andif there isnterest I can make further inquiries. We can even choose own divesite.

IzzyTahil:
I dislike having to wake up at the crack of dawn on my day off to do a boat dive. That said, I would like to know if WVD would like to charter a boat that would leave late morning or early aftenoon? I need a showing of hands (would need 6-8 people) andif there isnterest I can make further inquiries. We can even choose own divesite.

Late morning or early afternoon doesn't cut it in the north east. First you gotta be out there early to beat the fisherman to the wrecks or other dive boats. Second the weather usually turns on you in the later afternoon.

Those are the reasons the boats leave at the crack of dawn.

If you charterd one on Long Island I might be interested, but even a charter will leave the dock at 6am or earlier depending on the site.

Izzy- You might want to consider getting together for some shore diving. Since the tides advance roughly one hour per day, and different locales have different tides, you can easily get in some late afternoon and night dives.

It's cheaper too :eyebrow:

Let me know if you're interested. As Lou stated, you're probably going to have trouble with your idea unless you know someone with their own boat. Most of the charters are going to have their schedules already set, and published by now.

Scott

DEEPLOU:
Late morning or early afternoon doesn't cut it in the north east. First you gotta be out there early to beat the fisherman to the wrecks or other dive boats. Second the weather usually turns on you in the later afternoon.

Those are the reasons the boats leave at the crack of dawn.

If you charterd one on Long Island I might be interested, but even a charter will leave the dock at 6am or earlier depending on the site.

Deep - I know of 1 boat that does afternoon dives - http://www.eaglesnestwreckdiving.com/schedule.htm - so the assumption that all dive boats leave only in the early am is incorrect.

Scotty - Good to hear from you. Maybe the word charter has different meanings to people but for clarity, the diveshop I go to will "charter" a dive boat anytime, to go any location (dependng on location) hence the question of interest.

Izzy- LOL, I hear you. When a shop charters a boat, don't they just look at the captains published schedule, and pick a dive?

I've been on a night dive off of The Eagles Nest and had a pretty cool time. I was unaware thay did afternoon dives.

Captain Belinda was kind of a condescending jerk to Jennifer though, and I'm not sure she'd want to get back on that boat again. We were newer divers, and I found out years later that this was around the time of the rash of fatalities on his boat and The Wahoo. I can kind of understand his attitude now, but Jen aint really the forgiving type :wink:

I'll look at the schedules for The Sea Turtle and some of the other boats tomorrow (you know, when I'm at work with nothing better to do) and see if I can find some more dates. I'm assuming that a night dive is OK.

BTW- The Sea Turtle is doing some overnight trips to Block Island this summer. You get six dives in two days, and stay in a motel on Block Island in between. I'm going to post some more specific dates and details before I go on vacation. Could be a cool Wreck Valley whole boat charter!

VTernovski:
FYI: if anyone starts to smoke on the boat, I am throwing them out the boat.

and I'll help! It's bad enough having to breath those diesel fumes!!!

IzzyTahil:
Deep - I know of 1 boat that does afternoon dives - http://www.eaglesnestwreckdiving.com/schedule.htm - so the assumption that all dive boats leave only in the early am is incorrect.

Another boat that runs afternoon trips is Blue Fathoms, a six-pack out of Point Pleasant with Capt. Tony Donetz and Capt. Gary Pinel. In addition to 7am trips, they are running 2pm trips every Saturday and Sunday May through October. www.bluefathoms.com

Joe

Izzy, Listen to DeepLou he speaks the truth. You can try to get out midday but you will get blown out more than not. If you are not a morning person you will have better odds with a night dive. I live on SandyHook Bay, the wind and chop come in the early afternoon like clockwork.

jerseybones:
Izzy, Listen to DeepLou he speaks the truth. You can try to get out midday but you will get blown out more than not. If you are not a morning person you will have better odds with a night dive. I live on SandyHook Bay, the wind and chop come in the early afternoon like clockwork.

I'll chime in as well...I work on a dive boat here in NJ and we lose quite a few afternoon charters to rough seas when we had beautiful conditions just a few hours earlier. I am not a meteorologist but, I think it has something to do with the land heating up and creating an updraft which creates the breeze off the ocean...sea breeze? bay breeze? something like that...or are those drinks I had at the bar last night?

Even if you make it out, you still have to fight all the people who were out fishing/diving all day on the wrecks who think they own the wreck for the day...and if you make it on a nice wreck? chances are someone was there earlier in the day and grabbed all the bugs and scallops!

Believe me, I speak from experience. Been there, done that.

Back
Top Bottom