WV diver new to board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C R,

Check out the post "Club Planned Dive Trip". Would love to have the "Motley Crew" along! The more the merrier (you bring a bucket of fried chicken, I'll bring the potatoe salad. Diving makes me so hungry!)

Sorry it's not a weekend.

Amy

Had a chance to dive Summersville lake Sunday, thought you might like to hear about it. We did a shore dive from the winter boat ramp (no boats allowed now). There were several locals swimming, but it wasn't bad. The viz was really good for the lake, about 20 feet. Surface temp of the water was 77* but the thermoclines were still quite chilly. Around 58* at 45 feet. I do advise wearing a hood, it really made a difference on our second dive.

The only problem we really ran into was when a boat pulled right up to shore to pick some guy up, right in the middle of the swimmers and everything. After they were aboard, the boat did not leave, it hung around in the cove. Eventually it was about 50 feet from a dive flag (some of our group went back to look for my knife on a third dive) and I had to start shouting and waving my arms at them to get away. I really wish they required all boaters to test on flag meanings, since the average boater has no idea what a dive flag is or the safety requirements involved.

OOps.............. meant to post that with the info in the date we have planned to go there in June. Sorry

AmyinWV:
OOps.............. meant to post that with the info in the date we have planned to go there in June. Sorry

Amy, no oops, glad for the info. Is it easy to find the Winter Boat Ramp? I have only been to Sarges. Several divers up this way want to do Summersville Lake this year. One has a boat. I know an instructor here on Scubaboard from Midwest who is thinking of bringing some students sometime.

Next time you do a weekend let me know, I would like to get a tour and briefing from you.

mike

What's the water level like in first part of September guys I'm planning a vacation to Freedive Summerville lake? I did it last July 4th weekend and loved this lake for freediving and spearing. The only way I can get to the dive site at the point is by using my fiberglass seakayak loaded with my gear. The water level is critical because I was only able to find two places I could use to land my kayak and change out into my gear that July 4th weekend. I could use the large wedge shaped rock to the left of long point or what I ended up doing using the small ledge just behind the rock out cropping below point. It worked out perfectly I was able to pull the boat up on ledge put my foam rack pads under the boat to pretect the hull from the rock. I could change out easly and had one hell of a day. I want to look forward to a whole week of them!!!
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom