X-Shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveski01

Contributor
Reaction score
FifthD X-shorts

I got a pair of these just days before a trip to Puerto Rico and I'm VERY glad I had them! We would be diving from a private "live boat" - where the divers are supposed to drag along a surface bouy and the boat follows it around.

That worked just great the first day with dive buddies accustomed to being the bouy person. Well, the next day when another diver joined us and was the designated bouy carrier we had another spectacular dive - until we surfaced and realized that nobody had the bouy!

We were bobbing around in 6ft seas and our boat was about 1/4 mile away upwind - right at the bouy - frantically looking for our bubbles. Luckily, I had a surface marker bouy right in the pocket of my new shorts. We were able to be sighted by the boat in seconds. Without this device we may have been drifting in rough waters for a LONG TIME!

I also was able to provide Sea-Snips to quickly cut away abandoned lobster trap lines that were wrapped around precious corals. Spare masks, wet notes, spools, and other "just in case" gear can be brought along in any exposure suit without creating undue drag.

We dive very streamlined bp/wings and do not have bulky pockets on the bc. Typically we have cargo pockets on our drysuits for "stuff". These shorts can be worn over any type of exposure protection.

I'm never diving in a wetsuit in open water without my pocket shorts ever again!! First time out they proved their worth and saved the day.

(Yes - this is posted in another thread but doesn't it just make sense to put it under Exposure Protection forum as well??)

UPS just dropped mine off so I haven't got them wet yet but I gotta say they seem pretty nice.I might even get another pair slightly smaller for warm water.
Their pleated pockets have velcro on them to keep them flat when not in use so that was a nice surprise.
I use to use one of the Halcyon belt pocket and it sucked big time.
It's zipper closed on the far right side of me and was a recipe for failure.I disliked it so much that my last 20 dives I chose to do with out.
If I was to critique anything I might/will upgrade the waist line to para cord or something simular.
Danielle (owners kid?) at 5thD was a pleasure to deal with.
mech

what are X shorts are they a pocket to go on dry suits and wet suits looking for same thanks

bellows pockets are quite large. Having two pockets of that size seems a tad overkill unless you're carrying a lot of tools.

I have a bellows pocket of similar size on my drysuit and it easily holds a 150' spool, 60 lb lift bag, and EMT shears.

jacek:
does anyone have any comments on the x-shorts with pockets?

Hi Jacek, I bought a pair of X-Shorts back around the holidays, and have been enjoying them. I tend to go out and combine freediving and scuba on the same boat trip, so it's handy not to permanently install pockets on my wetsuit. A while back in the DIR community someone hit on the idea of putting pockets on bicycle shorts to be worn over an exposure suit, which led to Fifth D's idea on these shorts. I often find I end up wearing them freediving and find the pockets useful for stashing lens caps etc.

Got a nice pair of nylon cargo shorts at K-Mart for $12, shoulda bought all they had & went into business myself! :D

Oh wait, I can still do that..... What size do ya take, I'll sell ya 2 pairs for half the cost of the X-shorts.
More stylish, too. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom