XDEEP Black BT Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only other unit I was looking at was Heinrik Meinkampf's thing-die OSTC sport loved how it uses AA batterys, but it has issues of software openness- trimix and ccr in case my diving decides to evolve further.

As far as I know their firmware is open source. You can download it for free and even modify it if you have the skills. Do you see that as a disadvantage?

Cricket, I live in a country which is often over 33*c and some fools run around an oval in that heat chasing a leather skinned ball which weighs 1&3/4 lbs.

5 3/4 ounces. (I'm a cricket umpire).

Must be tough living your life avoiding supporting the US. I trust that you also purchase nothing from China for all of the same reasons. There was a book written about trying to live for one year without buying anything made in China. More difficult than you'd imagine.

There is no excuse for bad customer service; Piotr gets it - Sebastian does not. I'll be seeing him at a trade-show this weekend. In person, he is the most charming, lovely guy. He just hates it when pesky customers get in the way of doing business.

As far as I know their firmware is open source. You can download it for free and even modify it if you have the skills. Do you see that as a disadvantage?

You are correct hence the name OSTC..the OS standing for open source. Having said that I'm not sure exactly how open it actually is. They have tri-mix and CCR capable computers but again I'm not entirely sure how open those are. If I hadn't already bought a Petrel I'd give HW another go. I had one of there computers a couple of years ago, nice computer and great service when unfortunately I needed it.

5 3/4 ounces. (I'm a cricket umpire).

Must be tough living your life avoiding supporting the US. I trust that you also purchase nothing from China for all of the same reasons. There was a book written about trying to live for one year without buying anything made in China. More difficult than you'd imagine.

There is no excuse for bad customer service; Piotr gets it - Sebastian does not. I'll be seeing him at a trade-show this weekend. In person, he is the most charming, lovely guy. He just hates it when pesky customers get in the way of doing business.

It's a bit like avoiding the big Aussie duopoly supermarkets- all I ever buy from them is toilet paper.

I like "the German product" it always has a lot of thought put into it. Now with the value of the euro dollar- European made isn't so expensive as it was before 2008, when Goldman Sachs forked the place over. Even seeing Audi's being the same as Toyota pricing here in Stralya. I wonder what side of Poland the maker of the Xdeep is from- seems he likes the colour black, wonder if he has Hugo boss aftershave?

Easy. For support and service, they are orthogonally equivalent. Happy now?

i would say opposite. I you would send a Send a petrel for repair/warranty , no problem. Send the xblack and you'll have excuses and time waisted...

---------- Post added March 26th, 2015 at 10:57 PM ----------

I have a petrel and xblack with nitrox. And petrel is a better computer for diving , software is more reliable this has built reputation trough the time , it's easy to read during the dive, user replaceable battery and MUCH BETTER customer service and in my experience i cant say the same about the xdeep if i could get my money back i would get a different computer/bottom timer if you plan to invest i woul throw a few more bugs for something that won't let you down

How is the software on the Petrel more reliable? Can you be specific?

I like "the German product" it always has a lot of thought put into it. Now with the value of the euro dollar- European made isn't so expensive as it was before 2008, when Goldman Sachs forked the place over.

There is no euro dollar ...

I'm kind of curious if xDeep will fill the current backorders of BT versions. I'd really like to give this a shot as a straight tables/timer backup to my Petrel, but it seems like the other models don't justify the price over another Petrel.

How is the software on the Petrel more reliable? Can you be specific?

I think what he is trying to say is that the Shearwater firmware (software) have been around long enough and used by more than a handful of users to state better reliability compared to xDeep. SW does have a proven track record both with hardware and firmware.

I think what he is trying to say is that the Shearwater firmware (software) have been around long enough and used by more than a handful of users to state better reliability compared to xDeep. SW does have a proven track record both with hardware and firmware.

Jawellnofine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom