Xen and the art of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you Scott, but my Xen gains 7 minutes a day, and it is becoming a PITA to reset the time whenever I get ready for a dive. The software update is supposed to fix this.

All the best, James

To update the unit's software, the data cord is required, yes?

If you have a laptop with an IR port, then no cable is needed.

If you have no IR port, then you need the IR dongle.

...also just heard back from Emilie at Liquivision. Briefly, they pushed out the update first to those very few customers who had issues; found out the update still needed some tweaking; patience please and another week or so.

All the best, James

If you have a laptop with an IR port, then no cable is needed.

If you have no IR port, then you need the IR dongle.

Good to know. Thanks,

Henrik

Its a shame that with a computer as new as this they didn't go with bluetooth connection rather than IR which is getting very "old hat" now.

Most modern laptops have bluetooth as standard but IR is definitely a thing of the past really.

For that matter if the issue is IR only then why not just include the cables needed instead of always charging extra (not just a Luquivision issue to be fair)

I did see the Xen at Oztek and while it looked interesting it also looked and felt a bit "plastic" if that makes sense.

While I do love OLED and already have a UEMIS computer so really know how good OLED is I feel $500 for just a timer is a bit steep.

YMMV!

Its a shame that with a computer as new as this they didn't go with bluetooth connection rather than IR which is getting very "old hat" now.

Most modern laptops have bluetooth as standard but IR is definitely a thing of the past really.

Just because IR is "old hat" doesn't mean that it's still not the best choice for an "underwater" computer interface. Bluetooth, IMO, is not a suitable technology.

The real problem (especially for MAC users) is that modern notebook computer makers have seen fit to abandon the IR interface because mobile phone makers have abandoned it.

Therefore, the next generation of dive computers will most likely need to incorporate WiFi :).

The shearwaters use bluetooth successfully so no reason other dive computers can't!

Honestly if you're daft enough to have a mac then its your own fault! Soon Steve Jobs will not allow you to connect to a dive computer unless its Itunes approved! (tongue in cheek)

Wifi is not such a bad idea. so many computers have a wireless sensor and can talk to it so why not talk to the laptop the same way?

Hey Doug, is there any word on the pc interface software as well as the software update? Last update was that was going to be available by March 14.

Thanks for your patience. We do have the logging program in final phases of testing with our beta-team, and the software update will be released very soon too.

The dive logging program will eventually be Mac-ready, but at the present time it is not. The software update, similarly, must be run through a parallels program or similar but will eventually be Mac-ready too.

If you happen to be attending BTS this weekend, and wish to bring your unit by the booth, I'll gladly load the update on it for you right there. If you're not coming to the show, please know the general update will be out very soon.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Doug
Liquivision Marketing & Sales Manager

Thank you Doug, that kind of feedback & support is fantastic, and says a lot about Liquivision!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom